Friday, 11 December 2015

A friend .. A snowflake!

My absence from blogging has not been deliberate but my days seem to have rolled along at a gentle pace. I have been practicing mindfulness. I have being practicing being less judgemental. I have been trying to improve my listening skills. Some days are more successful than others!!

Today I was sent this poem. I just loved it. I hope you do too!

 

Snowflakes. A poem sent by a special friend this week. I think it truly beautiful.

 

Lines of retrospect and hope

 

Friendship often comes like winter’s first snowflake.

We wait so long for it to fall, but

Ere it touches outstretched, eager hands,

It melts and goes.

 

You awake to icy, fresh November morn,

To fleecy snow arriving overnight.

By evening fall, its gone – lost.

Friendship often seems to come and then depart

Like these first precious snowflakes.

You yearn and hope for the snow to stay,

But all in vain because you know it won’t.

 

Until – one day there comes at last

One special snowflake that wants to stay.

And will not melt:

And that is the snowflake

That really is – a true friend.

 

I need to write some real handwritten letters to friends. Like I used to before Facebook. Before Messenger. Before What's App. Before texts.

I need to write and let them know how much their friendship means to me.

I am going to tomorrow. Not just a scribbled note inside a Christmas card but a letter . I love, love, love getting them.

 

15 comments:

  1. I write regularly to a friend. She has a computer but prefers letters, she doesn't do social media so we write to each other.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely way to stay connected xxx

      Delete
  2. I am afraid I only write letters to friends at Christmas time but I must admit I do love letters, there is nothing like the thrill of the postman at the door. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Letters make such a lovely change from Junk Mail don't they!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful and gentle reminder that friendships require an effort sometimes too. Enjoy your letter-writing & have a happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT poem! I think of you as a special snowflake. I also love handwritten letters.. and I do hope you write some! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Teresa.... Lots of love to all the special snowflakes in your life xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda! That was a lovely poem, thank you for sharing. I hope you've been well and that you're having a nice weekend. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer.... I bet your gears are getting excited ! Enjoy your December days!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! So lovely to hear from you too, I hope that you have a good Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. Can I return those lovely wishes to you and your family xxx

      Delete
  7. This poem is really beautiful. These words fully describe main columns that hold the palace of friendship. I like is very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to hear from you, Linda. I appreciate your thoughts about friendship and nurturing friendships through letter writing. My mom wrote wonderful letters and I have a friend who for over 40 years has written me a personal letter each Christmas...your post inspires me. Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem!
    A very happy and peaceful Christmas to you and your family! Have a wonderful day!

    Merry Christmas
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.