Sunday, 10 May 2015

Twiddling and Fiddling and the Circle of Life!

A dear friend and I were talking a few years ago. Both our Mums were getting old . We decided there is not much fun in getting old and she said the " Circle of Life " should be reversed. In her opinion, life would be much better if you were born, say aged 80. Your parents would always love you and push you around in a pram, wipe your dribble and keep you clean. Then end your life as a helpless baby. Very few people can resist a baby and feel a compunction to look after such helpless little souls.

 

 

Well sadly both our Mums died and of course life goes on. Luckily neither suffered from the stressful,terrible illness of Dementia or Alzheimer's . For that I am so, so thankful.

After my last post about the twiddle mats I thought I had better contact some hospitals to see if they indeed were needed. And much to my delight I got a very quick email back saying " yes please, and as soon as possible.

They are found to be useful for distressed patients who, because of their condition, pick at their clothing, skin,canulas or anything near by.

I looked on good old Pinterest and there are some brilliant ideas there. So, this morning I set off on a twiddling journey. Not a mat this time but a book. I read that of course they often need to be sanitised so I thought about how to make sure they are washable. They also need to be safe .

So every seam is treble stitched. I just need to twiddle and fiddle and make some more!

A soft material for the front cover and ribbon " taggies" to stroke.

 

 

The inside pages have a few activities.

A pretty little pocket with ribboned flowers hiding inside.

A heart with crinkly paper stuffing.

 

A zip that can be zipped and unzipped endlessly.

And the ultimate crochet twiddlers.

 

If you are reading this and someone you love is suffering from such a distressing illnes and you think thus might help. Please send me an email and I will pop one in the post for you as quickly as I can.

 

 

My email can be found on the side bar of my blog.

 

14 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased that you have found an outlet for them Linda, can you send one to me please so that I can show them at work, I will email my address in case you didn't keep it. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman with such a generous nature, a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... What a lovely thing to say xxx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely thing to do, Linda. You're so thoughtful and generous to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Jennifer xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful thing to do and make. They will be a great comfort I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a very good and generous woman. I hope those bring serenity to those who receive them. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. I hope so too xxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, wonderful thing to make for those in need. Honestly, in the midst of all that is wrong in the world, it is reading things like this that keep my faith in the goodness of people. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment means the world to me. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  8. You truly are so beautiful. What a lovely thing to do XOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Just catching up with everyone!)
    I was just visiting (and catching up) with Linda at Crafty Corner and she spoke of these twiddlers in her post. What a perfect thing for people with dementia to have in their laps and fuss with. My dad has dementia, and is on a "memory" ward in his care home. I see a lot of the women have plush animals and little blankets on their laps and their hands are often stroking and squishing them. These little twiddlers would be ideal. I must make up a couple and take them in and see what they think. Thank you for this idea Linda ... you are always so thoughtful to those in need and who are often forgotten. Enjoy your week!
    Wendy
    PS Your furry little pal is adorable, and looks like he's enjoying his stay with you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.