Saturday, 10 January 2015

Part Two.. A tutorial for edging a Chevron Blanket.

Imagine my delight when someone left me a comment to say that my tutorial for making a Chevron blanket seemed to be so easy that she was going to make one. Crochet rocks! Blogging rocks! Sharing inspirational ideas rock. And not having to join lots and lots of squares by whatever method you choose makes a lovely change.

 

When I first started making Ripple and Chevron blankets I was unsure how to finish them off with edging stitches. I wanted them to look finished but I find I have to try lots of different patterns before I am happy!

I made this Chevron blankie for a great niece and I think it was one of the first ones I was totally happy with. Not only with the main part of the blanket but with the edge too.

Although the main part of the blanket is worked entirely using trebles I love the edging if it is worked in double crochet or half treble stitches. It seems to set the pattern area off in a frame. This blanket was edged echoing the colours in the blanket.


I finished the edge of the blanket below with 5 rows of soft blue worked in half trebles . And as a finishing touch 1 row of single crochet and then a picot edging worked like this. 4 single crochet. In the next space work 5 chain and a slip stitch in the same stitch. 4 single crochet. Pretty little loops to add the final touch

 

I tried a different edging with this blanket for my great nephew. I echoed the colours with rows of double crochet and then added a more substantial edging which emulated the jiggedy, jaggedy chevrons.

 

After working rounds of double crochet again echoing the colours I worked a row of double crochet and then worked the final row like this.

Starting in a corner work 4 trebles,1 chain 4 trebles in one space miss 3 chain and work 1 slip stitch into the next stitch. Miss 3 chain and work the treble cluster in the next stitch. Continue in this manner around the complete side. Don't worry if the pattern does not work out completely mathematically at all the corners. No one would ever notice.

 

So, I think edging is a personal taste. You might have noticed that I do not bother to straighten the wavy rows at the end of the main part of the Chevron blanket. Some tutorials advocate this but I have found if you work firm double crochet stitches in your edging there is no need. I wonder what kind of edging you like best?

 

 

11 comments:

  1. I have made loads of blankets but find the edging the most difficult part.Which colours.Which stitch.I like both of yours but particularly the picot edging.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am great fan of a picot edging. Yours looked really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - I struggle with the edgings. It can take me ages to decide and it's so important to get it right after all the work a blanket takes! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've pinned this page as well. I am expert at ruining blankets with wobbly edging! I can see I will be on a learning curve this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful chevron! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just working on the edge to my ripple - I decided to do one after all! - and am just doing straight rounds of trebles in different colours from the main blanket. It is interesting to see the different methods and types of stitches that you have used to make all of your blankets individual. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both of the edges you showed - I wouldn't be able to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Linda, I am so honored to have read your comment, to come here and to see that I am on your sidebar...I never knew..I feel we have crossed paths some time in blogging, but I am very honored.

    It was a very hard decision to make to stop posting. It has been such a rewarding experience, but I have to devote more time to my work, family and poetry writing goals. HOW I LOVE THIS FAMILY OF BLOGGERS!

    And your crochet projects are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful, and thanks for sharing the tutorial. I don't knit or crochet and I have osteoarthritis, but I thoroughly enjoy seeing what others create, so thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blankets are lovely and I like the way you've edged them. I would definitely agree with leaving the wavy edges at top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for taking the time to leave such wonderfully supportive comments xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.