Monday, 29 December 2014

Musical love !

Before Christmas I was given a challenge by a friend to name my all time 5 favourite songs or pieces of music. I actually cursed this friend as I was busy with Christmas lists and planning. What foolishness to invite me to escape into a musical heaven. But, I rarely refuse a challenge and I really enjoyed thinking each day for five days about the music I love. The music which means something to me and the music I often turn to.

Of course it was hard,if not impossible to pare a lifetime of music down to 5 pieces but I did,and here they are. .... I have no idea when I first fell in love with this particular song. I am sure Andy thinks it is linked to a previous boyfriend but no. I just love it.

Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Help me Make It Through The Night.

 

The second day I reflected on an all time favourite of mine by Eric Clapton. Written in memory of his son who fell from an apartment in New York.

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton.

Day 3 and a change in genre. This piece of music means so much to me. Evocative,serene and blissful.

Panis Angelicus by Andrea Bocelli.

Day 4 found me remembering a musical that has become an all time favourite for us. Les Miserable.

The film was excellent too and this track sung by Fantine amazing.

I Dreamed a Dream.

My music fest could not possibly end without a track from a performer who has been an all time favourite of mine for over 40 years. My children laugh at me, my friends humour me and Andy accompanies me to whichever venue we can get to.

Rid Stewarts latest album called " Time" is, in my opinion one of his best. And, this track a Pure Love dedicated to his children makes me weep every time I listen to it.

 

Pure Love by Rod Stewart.

Perhaps this will inspire you to think about your favourite music. Maybe like me you will enjoy the journey more that you thought you would. And, of course I could not finish this post without a little tribute to my sweet,funny and enchanting Grandson who filled our house with fun and laughter whilst he was here for Christmas all the way from Dubai. We sang Nursery Rhymes, we sang Winnie the Pooh songs, we sand Nonsense rhymes ... But I think his favourite song was " Happy Birthday" when he blew out his candles ... Just a couple of times !!!

 

 

And there were a few renditions of " ohh arrr me hearties !!!"

As Rod puts it so eloquently Pure Love.

It has certainly seemed might quiet here since they left!

I know there are hundreds of songs about " Goodbyes" but I prefer Au Revoir!

 

5 comments:

  1. That little rascal is getting more grown up and handsome by the day! I'm so glad you had time with him over the holidays. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fantastic time over the holidays, hopefully it wont be too long before you see your family again.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories you'll have made over the holidays! William is looking quite grown up in these photos and makes a fine pirate.
    I could not possibly choose only 5 pieces of music as my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each song you chose is a powerful expression of an aspect of love, to me, Linda. The performances are amazing and new to me. Thanks for sharing them. My mind boggles at trying to pick five of my own favorites, but the last couple of weeks at the Eastern Orthodox church I am attending we sang acapella Silent Night, Angels We Have Heard on High, and Joy to the World and it was wonderful to be a part of the lyrics and harmonies. I'm so glad you had a lovely time with your family during the holidays and I wish you and yours a most Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops....I should have typed a capella, I think :-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.