Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Dartmoor dreaming.

I have lived near Dartmoor National Park nearly all my life.

It is an area that could not fail to inspire, with its beauty and grandeur. Artists have painted it. Wonderful photographers have captured it. Writers such as Emily Bronte wrote of it in Wuthering Heights. Poets have tried to find words to describe it.

MOORLAND SEASONS.


Come with me to the Moorland grey and I'll show you the blanketing fog.

Thick and dank it comes rolling in and hides both the cliff and the bog.

On a gentle breeze the moistened air kisses the granite walled pound

Where the animals hide from the soaking cloud that muffles every sound.

Come with me to the Moorland white and I'll show you the ice and the snow.

Deepening drifts on the easterly wind that howls over valleys below.

The farmers are out with their bundles of hay to feed the ewe and the cow

And the red haired fox is hungry and slim, but there's little provender now.

Come with me to the Moorland green and I'll show you the gorse and the heather,

Long soft grass and fire-formed rock that has been there for ever and ever.

I'll show you the streams and the tumbling falls that follow the rainy weather

And the blue dotted sheep that roam the slopes and the crow that has lost a feather.

Come with me to the Moorland gold and I'll show you a haven to lie.

In a scented wood we can touch and kiss yet still see the clouds in the sky.

The sun in the west will set ere long and the stars in their glory shine

And only then, in the evening air, will you really and truly be mine.

Geoff Stuttaford - Oct 99



It is a place that changes with the seasons and can almost have four seasons in a day. Moorland towns hard worn and granite grey speak of hardships and toil.

The tors rise from the moor majestic and proud. Hard as iron above the springy peat bogs and purple gorse strewn hills.

In a few weeks time we have a new little baby due in our family. A Great Grandson to my late father who was a vet all his life. He lived in a small village in the middle of the moor and kept two Dartmoor ponies near his house.When I was a little girl and we would drive on the moor I begged my dad to put one of the ponies in the boot and let me take it home.visitors still love to see them especially in the Spring time when foals abound.

My nephew and his wife love the outdoor life and I think this little baby will spend quite a lot of time visiting wonderful moorland places.
The baby's mummy actually works in a Farm shop on the moor. It is great to see how moorland farmers have diversified and are thriving.

So,when I thought of this new little baby and the blanket I wanted to make it, Dartmoor came to mind. An unusual colour palette for me but just thinking about the green grass,Devonshire red soil and bracken helped my selection.

The blues of sky,clouds and moorland rivers trickling by.

The hues of heathers clinging to the land lighting the shadows with purples and pinks. Juicy wild whortleberries

And all in my favourite Chevron pattern an echo of the hills to the valleys.
The peaks to the gulleys.
Dartmoor dreaming.
I hope the dear little baby swaddled in this blanket will come to know of its inspiration and come to love Dartmoor as much as I do.

It's not finished yet,so a few more rows to go and a bit more dreaming for me.

I hope if ever you are in Devon you will visit Dartmoor and see its beauty for yourself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. I love Dartmoor!! A very spiritual place. The ponies are wonderful and I remember sitting and drawing the cross in your picture. We stayed near Chagford a number of times and spent days on the moors. Lucky you growing up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have visited Dartmoor once, many years ago, and can still recall its beauty.

    I am sure the blanket will be very much appreciated!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely Linda such beautiful pictures and the blanket will be much appreciated I'm sure, I love the colours. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring post! Thank you for sharing your love of your homeland. What a great father to have! Your blanket is beautiful and a wonderful gift. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for letting me see some highlights of Dartmoor and for sharing your love of it, Linda. It truly is beautiful through all seasons, and the photos remind me of places I have visited here in the States. I love the colors Dartmoor inspired you to choose for the baby's blanket, and I love the way you have combined the colors. The blanket should be treasured! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place! I sure hope we get to visit you when we (hopefully) return this summer or Autumn. Gorgeous views. Loving your knitting, as always. So lovely and I'm sure every person who receives one of your handmade gifts are blessed for a lifetime! Happy New Year!! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your colour choices - just perfect. Hope you have a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect colours of the moorland! I am glad that you had a great time with your visitors! I hope that your New Year will be wonderful! Best wishes for all good things in 2015 to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a beauty! Postcard-worthy. Or should I say, Instagram-worthy. :)
    I wish to visit and see places as beautiful as those in your photos. You're blessed to be there.

    Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely place to enjoy all the moods of the moor. I think they are beautifully reflected in the colours of your blanket. I know there is love incorporated into every stitch, so this new baby will be cradled in love and beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.