Tuesday, 28 October 2014

25 Squares of hope. Please read about my latest Afghan.

It is always so hard ... Maybe the hardest part of donating anything to Charity is to know if your efforts actually make the slightest bit of difference. YES, I do worry about that. But I have come to the conclusion that too much thinking could equate to........ too much of nothing.

I just want each stitch that I make, each stitch that I crochet to count. And this last week while I have been counting stitches to make my latest Lappycuddlyghan I have been thinking about finding a way to make each stitch really count.

A while back I made an Afghan blanket for a charity, and later when visiting that same Charity shop I found my Lappy in a horrible wire basket with a £2 ticket on it. I picked it up and thought of how I had dreamt it might make a difference. So, quietly i picked it up and took it to the till . The lady serving said... " a kind lady is making these for us,but no one wants to pay any money for home made things" Surely in anyone's language this Lappy was worth more than £2 !

Thankfully this was only one experience . My efforts with ' share a shirt for September " were greeted with sensible pricing strategies and a sense of acknowledgement of the work that goes into hand crafted goodies!

 

I felt sorry that in a Charity Shop no one would even want to pay the costs of one ball of wool, never mind the love. Or maybe the person setting the prices have never crafted themselves.

So, after paying that £2 myself and buying that Lappy back I sent it on to another charity and if nothing else changes it has doubled its value!!!

So, with a new autumn in Spain and another cry for help concerning the atrocities surrounding Female abuse and Human Trafficking in the Almeria region.I have made another blanket. And as I was hooking I thought about each square. And I came up with an idea.

 

25 Squares.

 

 

25 squares of hope.

 

 

I wonder if anyone would be willing to donate £1,1 Euro or a Dollar for one square.

I promise that if such a sum is donated I will give every penny raised to the charity helping these unfortunate women enslaved in Almeria.

Added to that I will donate the blanket to the fund raising efforts at my Yoga Class and then this lovely Lappycuddlyghan will make a difference.

 

 

If you feel able to donate a few pennies ,a pound, a euro or a dollar please look at my email address on the top of my sidebar. Using that email address as a contact to my PayPal account. PayPal itself will will do the rest of the magic making a little pile of money.

I would hate to mislead anyone. Any donation will go to help swell the charity funds and the blanket itself will be donated to the Yoga Centre which is collecting money by selling such donations to help these poor people.

And I promise to update you all about how much this little bit of woolly love generates..... Surely more than £2... I do hope so.

Of course I understand that maybe you already give to your favourite charities. In this case could you just send a thought,a wish or a prayer for these poor souls.

Thank you all my lovely followers for so generously supporting me in thought and deed xxxx

Ps. I am feeling very nervous about posting this. But after the generosity displayed by my lovely blogging friends in support of my September Challenge I have decided to give it a whirl.

 

 

24 comments:

  1. That's why I never try to sell my stuff Linda, I would rather give it away for free, it's a shame that handmade items aren't more appreciate but there you are. I hope you get a huge response for your lovely blanket because yes it is worth way more than £2 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Linda . I do agree with you and that is why I would rather support deserving charities like you do. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend & I made some things for a charity stall & were told, 'Sorry we don't want home made crap, it doesn't sell' not very polite, but we didn't bother to make anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sad state of affairs when handcrafted and made with love items are not appreciated. Hope you do really well and I will certainly say a prayer for these young women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate those kind words

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I read this because I sometimes think of knitting things to hand in to my local charity shop. I did wonder whether they would sell well and now I know better Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Una... I think this was a sad episode ... Other things I have donated have been far more successful.. I just wanted this blanket to generate as much money as possible for the poor women in question

      Delete
  6. I think it's amazing that a granny square blanket was selling in Cath Kinston last year for £80 (I think). I guess it's all about the label than the blanket! I tend to give my blankets directly to people who I think might benefit (e.g. old peoples homes). I know it should make more money by selling them, but I don't think many people actually value hand crafted items - other than other crafters! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you Sara... I only ever wasn't to gift or donate,.. Think you so much for taking the time to leave a comment x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just update to say the kindnesses already shown to me and this blanket of hope mean so much to me. Thank you so much for your generosity and kindness x

    ReplyDelete
  9. See you were right to ask. We all understand your commitment to helping people and £1 isnt a lot to ask. I do hope it raises lots of money for a worthwhile cause. hugs ginny

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was choked when I read this post, your blanket for £2 !!! And yet a local WI type market selling baby shawls for 10 times that plus ! (Just incase anyone thinks I'm anti this type of market I'm not I love all the homemade goodies and have supported them and support the use, sales and gifting of homemade items !)
    Sorry can you see I'm rattled heehee and breath ......
    I think as always what you gave proposed is a smashing idea and of a very worthy cause
    Linda we love you, we love your enthusiasm, we love your extreme kindness, we are behind you all the way - don't ever stop xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Jacqueline. Your words mean such a lot to me and thank you for being such a supportive friend x

      Delete
  11. Linda, I was shocked at the price they put on your new handmade blanket! I think the manager needs to know what happened to you. I want you to know that I was inspired by you and I donated $25 in honor of Dayle's birthday - to the Red Cross - who help women and children rescued from human trafficking situations. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa ... That is wonderful. Thank you so much . The Red Cross is a wonderful organisation that does so much good. X

      Delete
  12. I understand because I do the same thing...wonder and worry. In fact, I wonder and worry so much about whether or not my efforts or money or whatever will help that I often don't do anything. That's a sad experience you had with that lappy. And, it boggles my mind how people aren't even willing to pay for the materials of something even if they love the item. Your new blanket is gorgeous! I will say a prayer that your efforts will be a blessing to someone and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such kind words. I am so thankful for such wonderful support from my lovely followers. X

      Delete
  13. Hello you wonderful followers. Firstly,thank you so much for such kind,supportive words. I am deeply touched by your thoughtfulness and concern. This one experience was with a charity here in Spain. It is to help Cancer sufferers of every nationality. I would hate anyone to feel that it was an experience I had in the Uk following my " share a shirt in September" challenge.
    I am so pleased I thought if this concept of a Blanket of Hope as already thanks to such generosity it has raised £9 and a donation of 25 dollars to the Red Cross for abused women.Wonderful,wonderful,wonderful.

    I have now attached the 25 labels and I will start actually selling the squares today. So all in all this will be a wonderful way to support people just like you are supporting me.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to support your cause Linda sending you a me mail x keep up the great work x

      Delete
  14. Something similar happened to me many years ago. I made a very intricate crocheted baby shawl and donated to my church sale. When I walked round I discovered that the shawl was for sale at 5GBP (sorry the pound sign isn't working on my keyboard). The yarn had cost me over 20GBP. I mentioned this to the person at the stall and she gave me back the shawl. It seems people who don't make things themselves have no idea how much hand crafted items should be sold for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so sad that handcrafted items are not valued, I think that is why people struggle to make a business out of their items - not I realise that you have any intention of doing that yourself with your items - but it is the same if it is a business or being sold for charity. The work should be reflected in the price, people will pay masses for things in shops, so why not for handmade items. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox now. I really hope that you do well with this Linda, I am sending you the best of wishes that you will keep making a difference as 1 really can make a change and you are doing just that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it must be the same everywhere, these days, that hand-made items are not highly valued. And so it's no wonder the skills for such creating are gradually being lost. The love and time and care that go into the creation are not considered either, it seems. It's a sad statement that mass-produced goods are more valued.
    Linda, I wish you every success with your Blanket of Hope! Kudos for doing this and making a difference!
    We donate to our local Salvation Army second-hand store because of all the good works they do in the community.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.