Sunday, 17 August 2014

Celebrating sad days!

I suppose as you get older it is obvious that you will have to say farewell to loved ones. I know we are not alone in this but sadly we have lost some of our dearest friends at the age of 50. I was talking to a lady of 78 the other day and she told me that 50 is a very dangerous age for men. Well, I do not know whether this theory of hers has any medical basis at all but it certainly rings true with me.

My eldest daughters partners mother lost her husband two years years ago and she has struggled with her loss enormously. They had only been married for just eight years and their days were full of happiness and joy. It often seems to me, it is not the big things which are the hardest to deal with. Banks, insurances, finances have to be addressed. But, favourite shirts. That's another issue.

 

 

Well. A friend of hers suggested that the shirts should be transformed into something joyous. Bunting. Flags which could be hung to celebrate,commiserate and just giving some fluttering joy.

Of course this gem of an idea had to have a practical solution. A sewing machine and someone who actually likes making bunting. I have it hanging in my garden all summer long. And I was delighted to help with such a special, precious commission . To begin with I did feel a little bit sad taking the rotary cutter to such special shirts.

 

But soon it was obvious the pennants were growing beautifully. And by leaving little reminders of their roots the bunting became more and more special. A button hole here,a pocket there. Just lovely.

 

 

I like double sided bunting best with smallish gaps between the individual pennants . This new sewing machine makes sewing a joy. 40 flags, 10 in each pattern . So bright and cheery.

 

 

There was still some fabric left over and I thought about this lovely lady. She has travelled a lot since her husbands death. Well, bunting is not that portable. So, I thought about a little drawstring bag and zipped along quickly.

 

 

Perfect for packing bits and pieces. I lined it so it would make a great wash bag. Or just a place to put your favourite things. All going well but there was still some squares left. I sat and thought a bit more. Bunting to celebrate,a bag to travel with..... But what might you miss the most. Probably someone to cuddle up with. Something soft to lean on whilst watching TV. Something soft to lean against when reading or just dreaming .

The last squares made this.

A soft cushion.

 

 

I think some tears may be spilled when these fabric gifts are opened. Poignant tears that quietly speak of dreams,life and desires. Feelings o personal no one else can share them. But, I hope such sadness may be alleviated just a little bit by the transformation of such favourite shirts.

 

22 comments:

  1. What lovely idea's Linda it was so sweet and thoughtful of you, special gifts to be treasured for always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet idea, I am sure she will treasure them.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats wonderful Linda and all so very thoughtful!! The cushion is my favourite indeed. I am sure she will treasure it!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea - I am sure the lady will have a lot of comfort from all these special things. You are very thoughtful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing thoughtfulness.
    I am sure she will cherish these gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea and so thoughtful! I am sure she will cherish them, I love the cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very touching, Linda. I think she will appreciate all of it very much. I'm very impressed with your creativity and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful special idea
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delight, an amazing idea, such a thoughtful make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podziwiam umiejętność szycia ! Pozdrawiam !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful Linda - not only the practical nature of the makes but the warmth and thoughtfulness that goes along with them. Well done x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea!!!! I am sure it will be a very special item and very appreciated!!!
    Have a fab week!!!
    Love
    AMarie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful and kind hearted thing to do. Your makes are beautiful and I am sure they will be very much treasured and appreciated.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful, thoughtful gifts! You are a dear friend to make these to help your grieving friend. I'm sure she will find each item a huge comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ways to preserve memories. I'm sure the tears will be happy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's such sad news! But, what a wonderful idea you had and what a wonderful gift you created. It has so much meaning and looks great too! I love all the extra touches you gave to it. What a special friend you are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such thoughtful items. I expect the pillow will be especially valued.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Linda.. I missed playing WWF with you while I was gone camping for 2 weeks! I'm back. I think the things you made for that woman are the most kind and thoughtful things ever. You're just a darling woman. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. great !
    Greetings from Poland :)
    Katarzyna


    www.sajuki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I expect that you are right that there will be some tears spilt on these things, especially the cushion, but I hope that they will be tears of happy memories and a way for the memories to be kept and travel onwards. What a kindness of you to make these lovely things. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such generous and practical ideas to encourage your friend, Linda.... August 21, 2014, it has been five years since my husband died, and in that five years I have especially appreciated the things around me that prompt me to celebrate the 38 years we shared on earth and to continue to live my days growing to be a better and better loving presence in the world. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.