Sunday, 10 August 2014

Baskets of goodies!

There is something very special about hearing a new baby is on the way. I didn't like dolls when I was a little girl at all. Nor,soft toys either. I loved animals.... Just as well as my dad was a vet. I used to put my rabbit Hoppity in my dolls pram and push it around the neighbourhood. I think people got used to me! In those days you were just out all day long.

But, once I had my babies I "got it!" A new baby is nothing but miraculous and totally wonderful. Those fingers,toes and tongues. Just perfect.

Three of my nieces are pregnant and a special friends daughter in law. And none of them want to know whether they are having a little boy or a little girl. So, I am trying to cover all the goalposts. Ummm. We have tried to work out a formula but no.

Just to start off with a balance I made a blue dinosaur fabric basket. This second one is perhaps not as bodged as my first attempt, the little pink one. But, I know there are little stitches covering up baby bodges.One things for sure the little ones won't notice. Neither will the new Mums .... Those first few weeks or maybe more are a blur if I remember rightly.

I used two fat quarters which are on sale in Hobbycraft at the moment at the wonderful price of £6.50 for six pieces.

I added a little pocket.

But the material would not quite stretch as far as the handles. So, I used some denim and added little bands of the dinosaur fabric. This blue basket I made in a different way. I folded the fabric in half so the lining was the same as the outside. But of course there was no way you could pop the ends of the basket in between the layers. But, I love this little detail of adding a button to attatch the handles.

Then the fun began. Tucking in the treats. Dribble cloths,babygros,nappies,organic washcloths,a soft cuddly blanket ,some bibs,a hat and some toiletries.
I already had these sweet little bibs I made a while back in my cupboard so when I packed the pink basket they were the first to go in.

I also had this little crochet ball with a little bell in the middle. I love the candy stripe colours and some more are definitely needed as I think one for each bag will make the perfect finishing touch.

It's just as well these baskets are not stretchy as I can see myself tucking more things inside as the wonderful waiting game of pregnancy continues.

Thanks for popping in and I hope you are also enjoying the gentle days of summer we are having here in Devon.

 

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful and thoughtful gifts, the recipients will really love them!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen. Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely comment. I need to get a little more proficient and speedy!

      Delete
  2. They are so lovely Linda!! I am sure that the new Mum's will love them as and when the time comes to give them away. I think that the denim handles with the dinosaur fabric makes a great contrast, and is possibly even better than if it were all dinosaur fabric. When the babies are older the baskets will be great too for storing toys and play things in won't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a kind and supportive comment. I too, think they will make a fun addition to any child's room. I am sure they will empty quickly. So many needs for a little one. Hope all is well in your little part if Blogland

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful job you've done, they're just beautiful and so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so generous and talented, I know they will love these gifts. They would be perfect on the baby's changing table or on the chest of drawers or even the bathroom. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful gifts Linda the recipients are going to be absolutely thrilled with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful and thoughtful gifts. The baskets are a delight and will be so useful for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How incredibly awesome!!!! What a well thought out thoughtful gift the new mothers to be will be ecstatic to recieve such beautiful gifts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely gifts, the recipients will be delighted. It seems most people I know don't find out the sex of the baby beforehand now, a complete changes to a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab idea, a little basket of loveliness. I think I may steal your basket idea for Christmas gifts instead of covering boxes or buying baskets - is that ok with you hunny xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that new sewing machine of yours is certainly not gathering dust..... they are fantastic creations - might have to nick the idea as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these are perfect little baskets of goodies. I love the jingle ball. Those Mommies-to-be are going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your baskets are lovely and what a great present x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.