Thursday, 3 July 2014

It's been hard.

It's been a hard year. We have had to adjust to our son,his wife and our only Grandson moving to Dubai. We have missed them all so much. But, it has been such a joy to know they have been so happy there this last year. I am not dwelling on William's accident. He is up and about now,and like all little ones it will soon be forgotten if it has not been already.I have been full of admiration for my son as he moved with his family so far away. He started a new job in a new land in a very different environment. His happiness has shone through and he considers it to have been one of the best years of his life.I have equally been full of admiration for my daughter in law. She lived very nearby her Mum and Dad in North Devon and had never really travelled before. She gave up a part time job she loved and has supported my son every step of the way. She has written some wonderful posts about her life in Dubai. She has spent precious time with WIliam helping him develop and adjust. She has as always crafted,read and found peace.As for William. Well, again like all young children he has adapted and loves his life in the sun. He can swim every day. He has made lovely little friends and already experienced things that some children never do. The travelling in itself. The sands of the desert. The wondrous sights of Dubai. Unusual foods and experiencing different cultures and people.As parents all you want for your children is for them to be happy and well. To be the best people they can. To watch them develop into caring,responsible adults. And they have done all these things and a lot more. We have missed them more than they will ever know and that's how it should be. A friend asked me if I had read the words of the prophet Kahlil Gibran. I had not but looked up his works and the particular passage she was wanting me to read about parents, children and life. Have you read it?

On Children

by Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,

which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,

and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrow that flies,

so He loves also the bow that is stable.

I have read these words again and again. I have striven to really accept them as a real truth. I have read them in the context of my son ,his family and their new life. They are wise words. They are moving words . They are poignant words and I believe they are truthful words. A little long for a Mantra but not to long to remember the belief.

Tomorrow our son and his family come home again for a holiday and I am determined to try and enjoy every minute with them. I do not want this time tinged with regrets that they soon have to leave us again.

 

It is by saying goodbye that we meet.

It is by letting go we receive.

Its by by unconditionally accepting we gain love .

My words and ones I need to hold onto as firmly as Gibrans'.

For all my lovely followers here at Chalky's . I really do thank you for all your words of support over this last year. The kindness,understanding and empathy you have all shown has helped me more than you may know.

 

13 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post. I hope you enjoy every precious moment with your family when they come home for a holiday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda.. you are a class act. You've dealt with your son, DIL and grandson moving far away much better than I have when my daughter, SIL and 2 granddaughters moved 3000 miles away from me. Thanks for posting the Gibran essay - I will go read it again. Enjoy your time with them. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you all have a great reunion and some lovely times! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Linda,
    What a lovely post. It's going to be a blast when they come home.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you that you have your family coming for a visit! Enjoy every single second of it, and be sure to take lots of pictures. Maybe after they leave you can make up one of those photo books to help you remember their visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes Linda, you've been through the hoops this year and come out the other side with flying colours! I have the Kahlil Gibran verse on a card, agree wholeheartedly with it, and love it - very wise words. It's not easy being a parent is it! xo
    Enjoy every moment with your lovely young family, and especially enjoy telling William his monster stories - oh he's going to be so excited!
    Thank you so much for sharing your heartfelt post, love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know just what you mean about ensuring you enjoy their time with you without the thoughts of their leaving marring the visit. Enjoy every minute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of the lucky ones with both my daughters still living at home and I am enjoying every single day!!! I know our time will come and I also know that I will never be ready for that day!!!! I admire you for handling it with such grace!!!!
    Have a fab weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet family. I know you will enjoy having them home. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. enjoy the holiday, lovely that you have empowered your son to say he has had the best year of his life. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good for me to read this now, Linda. Your thoughts helped me appreciate where I am with my children as well...some 3000 miles away some in my household, but the reality of my relationship with each of them is reflected in the words you typed whether yours or quoted. I was worried about one of my children in particular and he called this morning and put to rest my fears, giggling about some, apologizing for having prompted others, and we used the time to again declare to each other our commitment of love. May you and yours continue to be blessed in the days
    ahead :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending much love. Thank you for sharing such wise words. I was told by a friend 'You give your children roots and wings' I love that but dont know if I could cope with not being near Dgs. Have a blessed and wonderful time with your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, Linda, I know. Live in the moment, and enjoy every second. Loved "On Children". I had not read it before, but the words are wise. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.