Wednesday, 30 April 2014

The Little Yellow Duck Project

Firstly, I would love to say a huge welcome to my new followers. I love,love,love it when I see people have decided to join in with life here at Chalky's .

Secondly, I would also like to thank everyone for the lovely comments you have been leaving lately, especially about the post where I talked of my Mum.

It was not until a few days later that I realised how often life is full of coincidences. The knitting thread I belong to is full of the loveliest people

They have come to mean so much to me. They listen,they support,they befriend and really are the most generous people . I have met some and would love to meet lots more.

Because the main thrust of the thread is about helping charities it was of no surprise to me that this idea popped up on the thread just a day or two after me posting about my Mum.

 

http://thelittleyellowduckproject.org

‘Gifts of Love and Gifts of Life’

Little yellow duck

The Little Yellow Duck Project is a global initiative highlighting the life-saving random acts of kindness of blood, bone marrow, and organ and tissue donation. Whilst every random act of kindness has the ability to brighten someone’s day, these donations have the ability to literally save or transform someone’s entire life.

What is the Little Yellow Duck Project?

The Little Yellow Duck Project involves people around the world handcrafting little yellow duck gifts as random acts of kindness that are left in public places for others to find. A special tag on each one invites the finder to take their gift home to brighten their day and to visit this website to register where they found their gift. We hope that the stories and information found here will encourage them to pledge their own random act of kindness by registering to donate blood, bone marrow, organs tissues.


My Mum actually had a kidney transplant in 2004. It transformed her life.

The whole family were so delighted. It meant dialysis could stop. Mum could live again. She was so brave. And after her transplant she raised thousands and thousands of pounds to help the Kidney Unit which did so much for her.

So, you can guess what I am going to be doing over the next few weeks. Making some ducks and seeing if the awareness of the need for transplants can be heightened. I hope you see one near you soon. Maybe you would like to join in with this initiative. Every duck will surely count. And if one persons life can be transformed like my Mums ... Well it would be wonderful.

 

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project this is Linda, and I wish all participants the greatest success in spreading awareness of this very needy cause! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea. I'll check it out so see if I can help. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right to highlight this, Linda. Organ and tissue donation is literally a lifeline for many unfortunate people, and there is always a shortage. UK residents can find out how to donate here: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk. Looking forward to seeing your little ducks! I'm so glad to hear that your mum had a successful transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice idea! I once found a book in a random place that was to be read and shared. Unexpected gifts create such pleasure! Thanks for sharing. ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great initiative Linda I hadn't heard of this before, I must look into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the most generous woman ever! I will click on the link and read about it. I am almost done with the crocheted baby lamb for my youngest granddaughter and will send it to Ohio for her soon. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea, and even more wonderful that your mom's life has been transformed by the kidney she received. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fabulous....that is a splendid idea! Will see what I can do! :-)

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you lots of luck with this, it will be interesting to see where the ducks travel to and what they inspire. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again dear Linda - this is just to let you know that I can't get into your latest post as blogger says the page doesn't exist!!!! But I do want to wish you a happy birthday, and will look forward to your post when I can get in there! Happy Birthday!
    Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for such supportive comments about the little yellow ducks.
    And Joy thank you for putting my birthday back into existence for me x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful project! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing idea I'm just printing the crochet duck pattern now and I am going to have a go x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.