Monday, 14 April 2014

Shopping in our village in Spain. And baby bibs.

I have said many times before that the day we stopped comparing our lives in Spain and our lives in the UK was the best day ever.

Actually nothing equates. There is no comparison.

To try and balance the two devalues both.

I have the loveliest friend. She is English, we worked together, we shared an allotment in the Uk and now she lives only ten minutes away from us here in Spain. She said when we moved to Spain " you are so lucky having both parts of your life"

And her wise words have proven to be so true.

Now, I really do love a simple life. I really do. And our life in Spain is simple.

Let's look at shopping. I love the markets . The vegetables are amazing. The fruits too. We love wandering around the markets. They bustle,they thrive and I love feeling a part of all that.

Then if we think about retail therapy. Well that puts a different perspective on things. In the Uk there is a plethora of shops. I font think there is anything you can't buy. And you are tempted by a lot more.

Here we have Super Turre . The most amazing shop in the whole world.

To be honest in our village there is only really one shop and it's Super Turre. It's an Alladins cave where you can find anything and everything you need. You may have to look really carefully sometimes!Spain,I don't believe is in the same EU as the Uk. By the tills at about pushchair height are boxes of caustic soda. And in the gardening area there is compost for Cannabis. Not what usually assails you in Asda or Tesco.

I went in today and there were some micro fibre cloths amongst the candles ... Well why not and I bought some. I really did not need any but who could resist such pretty mico fibre cloths...not me!!

I bought them home, looked at them and thought... Micro fibre. Good for mopping up .. Mopping up .. Spills and dribbles.

With a snip and a stitch a bib was born. No ordinary bib. The front a micro fibre bib .. The back the softest upcycled shower curtain. Here we have the first. Very 1960's flower power.

The second looks really pretty in minty green.

 

And for the boys. It's a shame they don't have cars,buses or dinosaurs on cloths.

But at least this isn't flowery.

 

That's what I love the most. When life is simple ..... You think the hardest. And at fifty pence for each cloth these bibs are really economical to make. And babies need a lot of bibs if I remember rightly!

If you would like to make one I found the pattern on this lovely blog.

http://www.newconceptions.com/free.htm

I just want to add a special " Thank You " again for all your kind wishes for our Grandson William. They have helped both Andy and I so much.

The X-ray yesterday showed that the bone had remained in its rightful position with the second cast made from fibreglass and healing is beginning. An enormous relief for his Mummy and Daddy and all William's family.

So now it's a waiting game until he gets the cast off, but at least things are looking up. I am, resolutely ignoring Google at the moment. On googling the problem of being constantly signed out I find I am not alone. I am among a very large number of frustrated people having the same problem. I hope you never join our far from merry band!

 

I opened the curtains this morning as the sun was rising over the village here in Spain and my heart felt lighter.

 


 

And our daughter must be feeling the same in Barcelona. What a great photo by the coast this morning.

 

I am off to Yoga now. One of my favourite times of the week. And a time this week to be thankful.

 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sunrise!! I'm glad that you enjoy both places and in different ways, it makes being in the two places more special and worthwhile that way doesn't it. The bibs look great and what a bargain on the cloths! That must be a great shop!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad William is doing well. He continues to be in my thoughts. It's amazing how much you come to care about people you've never met; yesterday while I was making the beds, he was on my mind the whole time. That store sounds wonderful. There was a store a bit like that in Massachusetts, where my husband and I went to college, called Spag's. I've never seen another store like that anywhere else. And now that I think about it, there is a large Portuguese population in that area, so maybe it's related to stores like that being found in Spain. The bibs look lovely. I should have made them for my kids. Funny how you realize later that you could have done all of these crafty things for your own kids. Well, it happens to me anyway. Someday my grandchildren will have heaps of handmade things, their parents will be overwhelmed with it all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.