Monday, 21 April 2014

An Auspicious Blanket.

I rarely buy scrumptious wool. Stylecraft double knit serves me well. But,awhile back I wanted to treat myself to some lovely different yarn. So I ordered some from Black Sheep Wools.

It is soft,muted and expensive and I had saved it for a special project. A new Chevron blanket. Now it's not the blankets fault. Or,for that matter the yarns either. But, as soon as I started to use it,the bad news of William breaking his femur came through.

Usually crocheting is restful and peaceful for me. A special place I go to,where I feel most relaxed. But not with this blanket. I have been fraught, tense and frustrated.

It gave me a hiding place. I could sit by the computer waiting for news but pretending to myself that I was not feeling anxious. As the blanket grew I began to feel it was a blanket hooked with sad,anxious thoughts. I was never going to look at it and think how much I had enjoyed making it.

Then better news came from our little family from Dubai,so I decided to finish the blanket quickly and put it away until my feelings felt less raw. So with trusty trebles I hooked a border. It was wavy,loopy and actually downright ugly.

I went to bed and could not sleep. I hated that border so much. But it was almost the sum of the parts. The final bit. Of course I could not get to sleep. I may as well have come straight downstairs and ripped that border out. As soon as I got up this morning that was the order of the day .... Even before a cup of tea.

How much better that felt. And then I got a text message. A lovely text message from my nephew. It was to tell me that a new baby was on its way. I was going to be a Great Auntie again. My nephew and his wife mean a great deal to me and I was so happy to hear this lovely news. And as I thought about them suddenly my blanket became special, auspicious and loved.

 

My goodness. A new border. A border full of small special stitches. A blanket that may have started with sadness but it has been finished with love in every single crochet stitch. And what makes it even more special is that as I have finished it we know William is getting better. His femur is mending. So, soon he will be back to his bubbly,energetic happy self.

 

 

 

And just as soon a new little baby will come into our family. What a special ending and what a special blanket.

 

 

15 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful blanket Linda and it must be a very special one too because it has taken you right through the sad times to the good, the border is lovely. I'm so glad that William is on the mend and congratulations to your nephew that's great news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda - I haven't been online much at all since moving 5 weeks ago (SO much unpacking etc) and I missed your post about William. How worrying it must have been for you all and poor little baby being in all that plaster cast. I am glad he is on the mend and also pleased to hear about the new baby. Your blanket looks really soft and gentle. Will you keep it for the new arrival? I am surrounded by sheep in my new home and was shocked to learn that the farmers only get about 50p per fleece when they sell it. How in the world does it end up so expensive once its spun and becomes yarn? I think I should try to learn to process the fleeces and to spin them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blanket is lovely Linda, and what lovely news you have had - William well on the way and another baby to welcome into your family.

    The only way is up! (oh my goodness now I have that 1980's song in my head!!)

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colours are lovely and the new border fits it perfectly. I hope it will remind you of good things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you've gotten good news from all fronts. Your blanket is beautiful and I know just what you mean about your emotions going into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad everything's feeling better. Everything will come through okay. Glad you finished the blanket on a new note. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so love a story with a happy ending :-) And your blankie is just lovely.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that little William's femur is knitting up quickly.. he'll be as good as new very soon. I love how your blanket went from unhappy to very happy.. congrats to your family for a new little member coming soon! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to redo the border of your blanket on such a happy note. It is as if you have reclaimed the sadness and worry of the past few weeks. I'm so glad your grandson continues to improve. The most amazing thing is he is so young he will probably have no memory of having had a broken leg when he gets older, and he'll certainly not have any idea of how worried everyone was on his behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful blanket & I'm glad to hear you've had some happier news, William will be bouncing around again very soon I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda I have just been catching up with your posts I am so behind - poor William I was so upset to hear of his tumble and so relieved he is doing well. You must have been frantic being so far away. Crochet is such good therapy and you have made the most amazing blanket it's beautiful.
    I hope you managed to enjoy Easter love Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a sweet conclusion to the blanket saga, Linda, and I'm very happy for you and the young pregnant couple, and of course for William's continued healing. A happy blanket, and a very beautiful blanket! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely conclusion and very good news! The blanket looks very cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story of our stitches is rather amazing isn't it, Linda. I am so glad William is better and you are welcoming another new life into your family. [I so admire the speed and beauty of your your stitching! You encourage and inspire me!] xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.