Thursday, 20 March 2014

Women's Weekly and Me!

My dear Mother In Law,Iris loved women's magazines and liked to buy them all every week. She would read them from cover to cover, do the puzzles and word searches and try some recipes. To be honest there was always a big pile by her chair looking for a good home. Now I don't mind a flick through, but I am not a great magazine reader.so I used to take them and drop them into the doctors surgery or the hospital waiting room. Now a Cookery Book... Yes, I read cookery books like novels.

Anyway,I so wish my dear Mother In Law was still alive because she would be tickled pink to see me peeping out from the pages of one of her favourites Women's Weekly very soon.

http://www.womansweekly.co.uk

I was contacted a while back by a freelance writer who submits articles to a variety of magazines. She was writing about older bloggers!!! Well after a lot of tooing and froing it was decided Chalky's World was deemed fit for the purpose. And seeing as I had my sixtieth birthday last year I definitely fitted the brief.

So, my blog was checked and the next requirement was to have my photo taken. Oh! Oh! Oh! That is one of the things I hate most in the world. But,I decided to surround myself with my favourite things. Crochet and coffee. I wanted to look industrious so Andy took the photo of me looking down crocheting.

Now,I had already requested as much airbrushing as possible to be done at Women's Weekly headquarters but that photo was batted straight back. I had to look up. Well, we tried one,.... Too saggy,.... Another, .... Too baggy,... Another, ... Too awful . So this one had to do!

 

After we had sent it I realised my boobs were stretching my shirt. I hope they airbrush that !

Maybe this one would gave been better after all. I have thought differently about all the pictures in OK magazine ever since. What a trial to have your photo taken the whole time.

 

Then we had a Skype interview. I was nervous,but all was fine. Gillian the writer has four tiny children and never actually showed her face. How she manages to write and look after four little ones under four astounds me. Whenever I get nervous I remember my Mums words. Just imagine the person in a normal scenario.... It never worked for my driving examiner but it did for Gillian.

She sounded lovely and the result of all this is on the 26th March 2014 Women's Weekly is being published with an article about Bloggers.

And one of them is ME!

Thank you Gillian .

 

 

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations Linda!!!! A nicer person could not have been selected for this!!! I am sure that your photo will look lovely and that your words will be very interesting too as they always are!! I am sure that your mother in law would have been delighted for you as well!!! You should be very proud to have been selected because everything you do with your blog is so great and all of your charity crochet work as well is wonderful!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful person Linda,it shines through and you certainly don't look your age. I have read your bog for a long time but never had the guts to comment. I think that you must be a wonderful Mum,Nan,Wife but most of all,you as a person. My parents chose to live in a different country ten years ago.I am married with two boys aged 7 and11. I miss having family near and often question their choice. I feel sad for you,with William living in Dubai. He is so lucky to have you both as Grandparents.You reach out to people,even on a page.The blog you wrote about stooping the well dressed lady,who looked sad and you told her,that she looked lovely.Well that made me cry.The world needs more people like you. We all carry things around with us,that we don't tell people about.We put a brave face on and smile,there are also times,that you want someone to see through it and show compassion.Your that type of person. Sorry to go on. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you are an anonymous commenter as I would love to respond to you personally. I have thought a great deal about your comment and I gave been very touched by your kind words. Take care of yourself and your lovely family and please pop back again often. If you feel able I would love you to email me . My address is on the side bar. If not thank you again.

      Delete
    2. Your very kind Linda.I will email you.x

      Delete
  3. That's wonderful news Linda, and I'm sure your MIL would have been delighted and so proud of you, just as I and all your blogging friends are sure to be - as well as your lovely family of course, that goes without saying!
    The British mags take ages to come to Australia but I'll be checking up on the web to see what info I can get; I am so happy for you, and you look great in both these pics! I do understand how you feel though, regarding having your pic taken, I avoid it at all costs too!
    Your blog is wonderful, you deserve to be 'in print' m'dear! Love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh Linda how exciting. It's my birthday on the 16th, so I shall buy a Woman's Weekly in your honour and read it over my promised birthday coffee at my favourite cafe. You look lovely in those photos, but I do know what you mean about hating being photographed. Today's selfie generation have no such qualms!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Linda. This is so exciting for you and you should be so proud :) I know exactly how you are feeling because Chester and I had the good fortune to be mentioned in Make and Craft Magazine back in November 2012. You never think it will happen to the likes of us, do you? Shall look forward to seeing you in 'print' :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, that's so exciting, don't think we get that magazine here, but I'll look online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is so exciting! Congratulations! I don't think I can buy that magazine here, unfortunately, but I am sure your interview will be very interesting and fun to read. The photos are lovely, you look very happy and in your element. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look just fine in the photo Linda but I would have hated it too, I can't wait to get the magazine and see you and Daphne peeping from the pages, you should be proud!. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mum-in-law iris would be very proud to see you featured in her favourite magazine, what an honour. I would think the whole process would be very nerve wrecking, but hey you have done it and now just sit back and relax and wait for the publication to come out.
    congratulations Linda x

    my blog; linda-dawn-designs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on being published! That is quite an honor and very exciting! I can't wait to see the article! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. FABULOUS LINDA - what fun, what fame... so glad to say I know you (at least in the bloggy way!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WooHoo! Such exciting news! Enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how fantastic! the photo is nice, don't worry! you look fresh and bright and like you have some spark. Hope to be able to see the article, do remind us again. How exciting! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for such wonderfully,kind and supportive comments. You really do make this blog a very special place which means so much to me x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmother used to read Woman Weekly, I actually have to confess I did too for a while, I don't buy any magazines now
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow Linda how fab - I'm talking to a celebrity now I will have to watch my manners. such lovely news what an exciting world blogging can be x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful news to catch up on, Linda! I am happy for you, and appreciate your delightful recounting of the interview process :) [No air-brushing necessary, from my view of you ! ] xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.