Sunday, 23 February 2014

Making a start.Window Dressing.

Thank you for all the supportive comments about our gardening pursuits.

Now it's time to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee in the sunshine and become a part of it all. And of course give the plants some encouraging glances.

I added a little Spanish touch to our very tall candelabra cacti on our back terrace this morning. It just makes me smile.

 

 

The lovely thing about our house is there are three areas to enjoy. The front garden and two terraces. The sun is usually shining somewhere.

A flurry of gardening,particularly of the titivating kind totally floats my boat.

Then,I am happy to change direction.

I love cooking,walking,reading,sewing,talking,eating, in fact mostly everything.

But,woolly pursuits are my favourite and,crochet is so much quicker than knitting.

 

When I took my latest blanket to the Cancer Charity Shop here in our little village in Spain they were delighted and quickly asked if I could possibly help with their Spring and Easter window display.

Could I crochet animals?

Well of course I said yes,and as we were coming home my mind was jumping from idea to idea.

First,I got out my needles and some yellow yarn.

But ,oh my goodness. Knitting can be so slow when you have lots of ideas jumping around in your mind.

 

 

 

So. I turned to my trusty hook and soon these little chickens were standing in a line.

 

 

 
Hiding a little Easter surprise of course!
 
 

 

 

If you want to make one of these,or a clucky clutch. Hook like this...


 

 

Chain 24 and work 12 rows of half trebles or 10 rows of trebles. Join your two edges. I do that with single crochet stitches which makes a nice neat seam.

 

 

 
You now have a tube.
 
 
Or to be more visually accurate, a banana.
To make your banana pop a running stitch around each end of your tube and pull up to make gathered ends.
 
 

 

 

 

Now tuck one half inside the other to make a cosy,cuddly chicks body.

 

 

 

Make two little wings like this....

Chain 8. Working 1 double crochet in the second chain from your hook. Work 2 more double crochet. 2 half trebles and 2 double Crochets to finish one side of the wing. Continue working the other side of your original chains. You make a kind of Paisley shape. So again,2 double Crochets. 2 half trebles and 2 double Crochets. This should bring you back to your starting point. Slip stich to finish. Fold your little wing shape in half lengthways and stitch to make a little crescent shape.


 

Sew on the wings. Make a topknot of your choice,stick on some googly eyes and embroider a little beak.

Tah Dah !

I actually realised you could make a single thickness chick. Just work 12 chain instead of 24. Everkything else is the same. I just added a little edging to neaten the chick off and make it a litlle more stable.this might be very useful if you are making a lot for a Craft Fayre.

 

 

 

 

Then I decided to make a bunny and again instead of knitting the square for this clever bunny I just hooked one.

 

 



24 chains. Work a foundation row into each chain and then using trebles work enough rows to make a square and then the magic begins .

And as quick as pulling a rabbit out of a hat here it is! I hate making pom-poms . So I just sewed on a little Pom Pom of stuffing kapok.actually it really does look like a rabbits tail and no winding and winding.

 

 

 

An Easter treat tucked between the little ears.

Here is the link to the knitted version of this little bunny. This video shows how a running stitch pulled tight turns the square into a bunny.

http://josoandsew.wordpress.com/tutorials/knitted-bunnies/

Now, that got me thinking about bunnies. And this clever little bunny hopped into my mind.


 

 

A flannel folded in to a bunny shape with an egg tucked in its back.if you want to make one here is a link to you tube where the instructions are easy to follow.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQ8s-s0u6g

Now, of course not everyone likes chocolate. Can that be possible?

So, here is another sweet idea for an Easter Gift. Again using flannels... And also using a pair of socks ... Cupcakes.

 
 
 
There are some lovely cup cake cases on EBay.
 

 

These would be so pretty.And maybe a perfect idea for an end of term teachers gift. Or a little Easter present for a special Grandma. Mine would have loved one as she used a flannel and Pears Soap every day.

So,in case you want to make these here us a link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9g2o90QychI

So my little stash was building up.

Easter last year was so special for us as William had his first Easter Egg hunt. Here's Auntie Lindsay trying to explain silver paper. I think it may have been the first time he had even tasted chocolate!

 

 
 
And there was a bunny hunt . Silver paper too.
 
 
 
 
I made him his own little bunny to help him find the chocolate treats.
 
 
 
 
They did not stay in this sweet little bucket for long!

 

 

Bloggers are so, so generous with their tutorials and I loved these bunnies so much.

Here is a link to a lovely blog if you have not already found it. The pattern is here.

https://thegreendragonfly.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/

 

Of course William is in Dubai at the moment and learning about different ways of life, traditions and customs.

And growing so fast.

 

 

 

By the look of that little tummy he is still enjoying a little bit of chocolate!

 

So. I am going to make quite a few of those rabbits and use Pinterest as a source of ideas for Easter Egg Hunt ideas. Maybe a basket like this to store the eggs in would be good. Such brilliant ideas makes Pinterest another hobby that I love. Pinteresting!!!!

 

I think a crochet rabbit tucked in a plastic bottle basket like this would make a perfect addition to the Charity shops window display.
 
 

So, my Saturday was spent in my favourite way . Crafting. But,as I worked I noticed rainbows were keeping me company.

 


And, at the end of my day I stood on the top terrace spellbound by the setting sun. The end of one day and the perfect promise of another. No need to ask for more in my world.


 

 

And over the little bridge leading to our village there is a little shop waiting for these little goodies to go in their window for an Easter Draw for such a good cause.

I hope they make people smile.

 

24 comments:

  1. Linda you are a star - how lucky the little shop in your village is to have you at hand! I love the way the banana turned into a bunny - who'd have thought? Beautiful sky x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane. Your comment made me smile x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute little critters. We used to make swans out of a bar of soap and a little netting with a coiled pipe cleaner poked into the soap for the head and tail. I love making them and the flannel bunny kind of reminds me of those. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment... Now where are those pipe cleaners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, you are so talented and creative! The chicks, especially, are so cute. I might try to make them for my kids. We usually give them the mini Cadbury eggs but I would gladly give them a large one too if I can do it in such a cute way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer the chicks actually have Cadbury Creme Eggs inside. Then after Easter they can be used as an egg cosy. Hope you make some x

      Delete
  6. Hey Linda,
    I tried to comment on your last post, but kept getting thrown out. Just to say that I love all those succulents and cacti type plants. They grow really well here in St Ives, and I often stop and admire them in other people's gardens. Yours is looking lovely.
    And I am always amazed at the mind of a creative type - so full to bursting with ideas. One thing leading to another. Fantastic. I love the bunnies with the creme egg. Here's hoping that you enjoy more sunsets this week!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. How prickly. But lovely to see you comment on this post x

      Delete
  7. All of your little Easter friends are so lovely and will be well appreciated I am sure. I especially like the bunny and chicks to hold the crème eggs!! You really are one of the most generous crafters there is Linda, if not the most!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely comment. And thank you for always taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  8. Hi my friend! I love all your little crochet ideas. I've crocheted some Easter eggs and I love them.. let me know if you want the pattern. You sure do enjoy life.. that is so neat. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that offer. Crochet eggs must be less calorific x

      Delete
  9. You are so clever and innovative Linda, and I have been so entertained and happy reading this post! The little chick is so sweet, and such a clever way to make him - everything is so …. Eastery, shall we say, but best of all is your darling William, what a delightful little boy he is turning into!
    Hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy x he is a complete Joy !

      Delete
  10. Linda, you are really so talented and creative!
    Wedding Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable little chicks! They are great with the yummy cadbury's eggs too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will not eat them . I will not. I will. .....NOT eat them x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on your crochet creatures. I'm sure they'll boost the shop sales no end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. William's looking utterly delicious I see. So glad he enjoyed it! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute! And haven't there been some spectacular skies in Spain recently, we were in Cordoba and Granada last week, just beautiful.

    I have to say that young William is looking very dapper in his Dubai gear!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those crocheted creatures are adorable. I also find crochet much faster (and easier) than knitting. What incredible views from your Spanish home! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. They will most certainly make the customers smile, so cute; as is William! Gorgeous views and such a lovely sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lot of inspiration here! Love the little chicks & rabbits. I used to make those washcloth bunnies for my own kids ages ago. I think I might try my hand at knitting something up myself :) Thanks Linda! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.