Sunday, 29 December 2013

Quilt away,Quilt a day. Square Number One.

I knew I would need a post Christmas distraction.

This is going to be a good one. I woke up thinking about it this morning.

That is good,so good but I am such a bad finisher!

Anyway, let's look on the positive.

Here we have the idea. A Scary Squares Monster Quilt for William.

It would suit his personality so well. Bright,bubbly and full of mischief and fun.

I have to say I have never made a quilt before. I have started several but made, as in completed, actually finished. NO!

But 2014 is going to be different. This quilt is going to be created with love and finished with joy!

I love buying material. I love the rolls of fabric. I love the colours and patterns and when I buy it I know one day I will use it.

Williams' Mummy knows me so well and sent me this Ecard via Pinterest the other day. It did make me laugh.

 

But, I am actually inspired to make this quilt using my stash. I love my stash and am already enjoying pulling it all out and matching materials to the monsters.

 

There is still a lot more in the Craft cupboard!

 

 

So neat and tidy until you open the door!

 

And that's not includIng the bits and pieces in the cupboard of doom under the stairs! But I think all crafters have similar stashes and love them just as much as me.

I was really delighted when I found this great big piece of material which will be perfect for the backing of the quilt.

It is actually a darker shade of purple than that.

And so many other lovely bits and pieces.

 

I would love to think I can make this quilt using all my lovely pieces of fabric and I made a start on the first piece yesterday.

 

Monster number 1! Yay! I want to hand stitch the monsters onto the backing fabric as I want to sew lots of love into this quilt and I have never used a machine to appliqué . My Singer sewing machine that I have had for 50 years only sews straight lines forwards.

Now, I did iron on Vilene which made the monster stand to attention. That's OK for that first piece but I am going to have to go on a fact finding mission to find out what I can use to put between the monsters and the backing fabric to give some squashy definition. I don't want it to all look flat.

I am going to learn so much. This squishy monster layer is going to have to be both soft and washable.

But, I will have to wait until later to Google all bout it. I will be doing some blog hopping as well . There are some gorgeous quilts in Blogland and folks are so kind with sharing information. I will have to wait as we are off to a post Christmas Party. Wow! Someone else doing the cooking. Perfect.

So here we have it. Quilt Away block 1 done and dusted.

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea, so colourful, just the thing for a young lad - my boys would have loved something like that when they were little.

    And so much love will be sewn into this, it will become a family heirloom.

    Cant wait to see how it progresses!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen
      Thank you so much for leaving such a kind comment. I am looking forward to seeing it develop too. I think I am going to be learning a lot.
      Kindest Regards Linda

      Delete
  2. I love the monster quilt idea! so colourful and fun, good luck! you have a lovely family, have a happy new year! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep your determination going and you will finish this in no time! This is going to be so bright and cheerful. Your wardrobe looks well organised, I daren't open the door to mine! Have a happy New year x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to get the Grandma of the year award when you finish this, young William is going to be thrilled. I think it is a perfect way to send him a bit of love everyday while he is away from you. I am in awe of those of you who can quilt. I can not sew a straight line.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda and Happy New Year! I'm retired too...isn't it great? LOL! I'm slow but I get to do whatever I want with no interruptions unless grand kids are here and those are the best kind of interruptions. I love your monster quilt idea! Is that a pattern from somewhere? I have a grandson who loves monsters...who knew? I'm still trying to finish a grow chart quilt but that's a wall hanging so he still needs a quilt for his bed..tee hee. It wouldn't be the new year if there wasn't new projects to begin, right? It's so inspiring to visit with others who are smitten with fabric, yarn, baking and creating of all kinds. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is going to be fabulous! William will always cherish it. I can't wait to see more, this first monster is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to start something entirely new it's so exciting. I had to laugh when you said your stash was untidy, you don't know untidy until you see mine. I love fabric too and I do have a small stash but nothing like the wool stash. One day I will learn to make a quilt, I'm going to follow yours with great interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, first square underway!! I am sure that William will love this quilt and that you will love making it too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for such lovely,encouraging comments. Please pop back often to see how my quilting grows and how much I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the first step that is hardest and you've got that step taken and done wonderfully. I know you will finish this one and it's going to be awesome!!

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Progress...square one! And what fun to go shopping in your stash for just the right materials for the quilt. Plastic tubs are helping me store my supplies, too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you! What a fabulous project to do for your sweet little William, I'm so looking forward to following your progress with it. Happy quilting and happy new year! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful quilt that is going to be, William will love it
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow just look at your stash, it is so good that you're looking to use what you already have to make this darling quilt. This is going to be an epic make and monster number one is looking good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.