Thursday, 19 December 2013

Let's hear it for the Cook!

Thank you all so much for the kind and encouraging comments about the little dog bowl mat. Archie Woof's is nearly finished!

So as the days speed by like that galloping stallion I like to make a final? list and think whether as many angles are covered as possible.

I really am trying not to be sexist but it is usually the women among us who have been engrossed in the finer details of the Christmas madness. Getting to 60 and practising yoga has taught me one thing. You should never do anything just to get thanked. Do everything because you want to show you love and you care. I try every day to put my ego to sleep. I want to enjoy the things I do. I do not need recognition. However, It is interesting that my appreciation and observation of my comment numbers shows that it is easy enough to say these things but harder to practise them :)

Anyway, back to the cooks. I wanted to make something just for them.

Good old Pinterest.

Stove Top Christmas Pot Pourri.

I tried a set out this week and the whole house smelt of Christmas. You can let it simmer very gently all day and by adding more water or mulled wine ( if you have a drop to spare) you can reheat it again over the next day or two.

On Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day I am going to pop a batch in the slow cooker and leave it somewhere out of sight just to get the gorgeous aroma.

This is just so quick and easy. Gather the ingredients.

1 tablespoon of whole cloves.

1 orange

4 Cinnamon sticks.

A cup full of fresh cranberries.

And I added a sachet of mulled wine spices.

 

Here's one I assembled earlier. All tied up in cellophane and ribbon.

 

Pop in the bag and tie on a label. I wrote the instructions on the reverse and I think it makes a sweet gift for the special cooks at this time of year.

In case you want to make a little bag. Here are the instructions.

Slice orange and break the cinnamon sticks in half. Combine all the ingredients in a small pan. Add 1/2 to 1 pint of water and simmer very gently.

Add more water if necessary. Mixture can be reheated as desired. Enjoy the holiday scent.

Talking of cellophane and cranberries. Every year I take my square vase, a sheet of cellophane and some cranberries. Tuck the cellophane in the glass adding cranberries as you scrunch it up and top up to the very top with water. It looks just like a glass of ice with cranberries frozen in the cracks.

It takes literally two minutes. A pretty perfect solution at this time of year.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. So clever with the cranberries and cellophane in the vase Linda! Great idea. I love the stovetop pot pourri! If anyone is lucky enough to have a woodburning stove, a pot of this left on top all day works really well - I never thought of the slow cooker though, now that is a good idea!! Happy Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on the female person in the family doing most of the Christmas prep. Love your vase and the potpourri. I bet your house smells divine.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda! I scrolled back though your December posts and could not find any comments that I left even though I thought I had visited with you....hmmmmm.
    I do enjoy your posts and appreciate so many wonderful ideas you have shared...stories for William, pink and blue blankets, your very clever dog bone mat; and slow cooker potpourri is brilliant. Thanks for the recipe!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks brilliant, thank you for sharing!! I too try very hard not to do things for praise and recognition and to be honest it comes easy as I love to give, but one thing about blogging is that it makes you realise just how at times you can become quite needy of acceptance, I think we must all feel like this. Take care xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.