Thursday, 28 February 2013

A Tutorial for Pretty Crochet Flowers.

I have been thinking about Mums everywhere. Lovely Mums who have made life special.
I am sure we all have universal early childhood memories of picking flowers for our Mums. By the time she got them they were often looking a little sad after being clutched very tightly in hot hands. But I was always pleased that Mum would stop the housework find the prettiest little vase and put them in pride of place. As the years passed of course the flowers became more sophisticated. Wrapped in cellophane and paper. They still bought joy to Mum. freesias were here favourites. But somehow the sweet poignant memories of daisies on the table are the ones I treasure most !

So my hooking and treasured memories of flowers for Mum.

How I hooked the Dark PInk Flower.

Round1. Chain 3 and slip stitch in the first chain to make a loop.
Working in this loop Chain 3 which represents your first treble.Work 11 more trebles and slip stitch in initial chain.(total of 12 trebles)

Round2. Chain 4 . Double Crochet in next 2 spaces.Chain 4 ,Double crochet in next 2spaces. Continue in this manner around the flower until you have worked 6 little loops.
Slip stitch into your first loop so that you start the last round in the right place.

Round3. Work 1 Double Crochet ,1 Half Treble, 1Treble, 1 Half Treble! 1Double Crochet in each of the 6 loops.to complete the round slip stitch into the initial base of the chain 3 and you have it!

Once you have worked your first flower the others are a variation on a theme.

The Light PInk Flower is worked as follows..
Work Round 1 in exactly the same way making 12 trebles in the initial loop.

Round2. Work 5 chains to make each of the 6 loops.

Round 3. Work.1 Double Crochet . 1 Half Crochet. 1 Treble 1 chain 1 Treble,1 Half Crochet, 1 Double Crochet in each of the loops.

The Purple Flower. Only the chain loops and final row change.

Work 6 chains to make each loop and decorate the loop with 1 Double Crochet. 2 Half Crochets, 2 Trebles 1 chain 2 Trebles, 2 half Crochets and 1 Double Crochet.

I am sure by now you are itching to try your own variations. The orange flower has bigger loops with more decorative stitches in each loop. And a little picot tip on tip of each petal would be so pretty.

So when you have made a whole bunch of these flowers the next step is to think what lovely things you could make. Ravelry and Pinterest are both a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration. I have so far made book marks and brooches with them. Most of all I have had fun working new designs. I hope you do too.



12 comments:

  1. Very pretty - I'm sure I can find a use for these lovely flowers! Thank you for sharing
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love making flowers, you never know when you will need one for embellishments and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would look great hanging on a window with little hearts :) Thanks for sharing, its nice to have a range of flower patterns to use x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful blog u have! crochet, flowers,books...and to top it all off u are in such a lovely part of the world (jealous!) i shall be popping over again.

    mezz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely! Thank you for the tutorial. I am on a real crochet kick at the moment so will definately have a go at making these soon.
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all . Your comments really are very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These flowers are lovely. Thanks for posting the tutorial, it's nice and clear. They would look lovely strung together in a little garland.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a little bouquet of flowers, about three inches tall that my daughter knitted for me several years ago. They are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your content.
    The article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a
    note of your website and keep checking for new information
    about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.


    My homepage ... NFL Jerseys Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I
    clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all
    that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say fantastic blog!



    Take a look at my web-site ... cheapjerseys01

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep on writing, great job!

    Also visit my website; Cheap Nike Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
    twitter group? There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

    Feel free to surf to my website Wholesale Jerseys Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.