Saturday, 12 January 2013

Sweet Memories!

Memories!
Universal I guess.
In many ways the fabric of our being. Memories of experiences that have shaped and moulded us. I do, in general live for the present moment. That old saying ... "Yesterday is History.Tomorrow a mystery, but Today is a gift" rings true for me.

However, just now with my Mother In Law still in hospital it is easy to see the evidence of the years passing by so quickly. I still see her as the young Mum of my new boyfriend. That boyfriend and I have been married for forty years now so things have changed so much. We have all changed but old age brings a change that is undeniable. She is our last remaining parent and we know the journey we have ahead of us with her.

So, the grey days of January, and hospital visiting brings a certain sadness to our days just now. A poignancy for the sweet days when all we had to worry about was whether we had enough Pearl White to make our teeth white enough for kissing .. well that was me. As for the "Sporty One" I think it was probably more about a West Ham result but Hey Ho!

I still live in the same village where I was brought up. I can see my old house from my windows and the other day I wished I could just turn the clock back. I wished I could drive my Blue A40 in the drive. I wished I could open the kitchen door wearing my suede boots and mini skirt and hope there was Salmon Fishcakes and Angel Delight for tea.

Sweet memories.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. Your supportive comments mean a great deal xx linda

      Delete
  2. I have been having the same type of thoughts lately. I guess from time to time we realise that were are merely mortals with an expiry date. It makes me wish I had made more of my younger days. No turning back now though so it is all down to make the most of today! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I think starting a New Year makes life a little reflective. I hope your days are filled with sweet memories too. Love linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Those blessings straight back to you xx

      Delete
  5. I often wish I could turn back the clock for an hour here or there, to see again people I have loved and lost, and have the chance for a visit and hug again.
    I think, too, that losing one's parents tugs that string that binds the history of parents and grandparents and great-grandparents, and we feel that we are somewhat adrift, for our anchors are no longer there to hold us on our course. We have lost that support, love, and understanding.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely where we are right now. Thank you for such empathetic words xx

      Delete
  6. I sometimes I wish I could turn the clocks back, see the memories again.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your gentle memories bring you comfort and a sweet sense of joy xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely post Linda. I hope the greyness will soon lift - thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet... That means a lot xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.