Friday, 18 January 2013

Bittersweet crochet round the Circle Of Life.

Just now we are spending every minute we can at my Dear Mother In Laws bedside. The time passes, quietly at times.gentle reflective thoughts about a life of over eight decades. At other times funny things are remembered. Incidents that immediately make us laugh and we know if she was conscious she would be laughing with us. But, our tears and smiles are bedfellows right now.

We are reading,resting,watching a silent television and waiting.
My hook,as always is nearby and my BIG blanket is growing fast. All those little squares are a perfect distraction. The Masons pack of Stylecraft wools means that colour choices will be tonal and blend perfectly. No need for any angst or too much thought! Just a repetitive motion which is soothing and gentle.

My how this project has grown in these early weeks of the New Year.

Death brings such sadness which takes a little while to accept.These sad,last days take a while to fade and happier memories blossom.

I am wondering whether this blanket will always be bittersweet or become a lovely memory of a last goodbye. I will just have to wait and see as each day unfolds.piece by piece,square by square,stitch by stitch.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, a very sad but beautiful and thoughtful post. It's wonderful for you to have the comfort of making your lovely blanket to help you through this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this very difficult time - there is no easy way to deal with these last moments but the repetitiveness of the crochet must surely help to distract from what lies ahead. It's a cheery blanket Linda and I am certain in time it will reflect all the love and happiness of your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. Just glad she is comfortable and with family, it sounds peaceful there with you sat crocheting. Sending hugs my dear freind. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you all at this very sad time - I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs ((((( ))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. O Linda I am so sorry to hear the sadness you are all going through at the moment,and I can sympathise having been there with my own DMIL. It is very hard I know but keeping your hands busy does help and your blanket will in time bring lots of memories happy and sad and will be very special. D and I both send our love and prayers to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, was saddened by the latest news - your post was beautiful but filled with emotion - lots of love and prayers for you and the family from all of us here xxx you know where I am if you would like a chat anytime xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, my thoughts are with you at this sad time - I remember the time I spent with my dear Mum

    ReplyDelete
  8. (((hugs))) at this sad time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to read that these are your MIL's last days. I'm sure it is a comfort for her to know you are there, sharing this time with her, and reliving many memories. At first, the blanket may remind you of sorrow, but in time, I think it will become a blanket with many layers of love. Sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you. So sorry to hear about your mum in law, but good to know that you can be close to her at this time.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda - I am so sorry to hear that your Mum-in-law is so unwell. I find crochet a good companion in time of stress and sadness. I like to think of every stitch representing a little tiny part of me at the time I created it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your comments have given us so much comfort. Thank you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.