Thursday, 10 January 2013

1,2,3 AND PIMP YOUR JAR.

Today it is think "outside the nine dots" approach to the three a day challenge. I am totally keeping in touch with my idea of it being stress free. So, if I open a cupboard and see a pile of things my aim is to reduce the pile by at least three. Now, we do not have a dog anymore,in fact we have not had a dog for eighteen years so my neeD to collect dog towels is a little misplaced.

Our daughter does have the delightful "Buster." He is gorgeous, Springy and often very wet.


 So, I do need a towel or maybe two. So my towel pile is not completely unnecessary. It is too high though, it is taking up too much room. So today three towels have been popped in a bag and they are off to the local Animal Rescue Centre.

Now,Pimp your jar?
Well whilst reading snippets in the Good Housekeeping Magazine. And,no, I am not a shareholder! I came across this article.


Join the Jam Jar Army

” The Jam Jar Army is a new way of giving. When I was growing up there was a poor box in our house, and we filled it with coppers. Not policemen. They wouldn’t fit. But coins. Good idea huh? Most of us don’t have a poor box anymore – but we do have a jam jar. So, why not join us –  empty your pockets and fill a jam jar with change

It’s simple.

*Eat the jam (that bit is quite important).

*When the jar is empty and clean (that’s not as important but it’s probably better that way), fill it with all those coins you don’t really want cluttering your pockets and your handbag and your house.

With the support of the Northumberland Gazette we  launched the Jam Jar Army in Northumberland, where the first collection raised £12,868 for Hospice Care North Northumberland.  We are currently attempting to raise funds for the Alnwick Playhouse Youth Theatre which serves the kids across North Northumberland. So far through the Jam Jar Army, the kids in the youth theatre have raised more than £10,382 for themselves – a great achievement, and a credit to the generosity of our community.

If you live outside Northumberland and want to join the Jam Jar Army, we are happy to have you. Please fill your jar and give it to a good cause – any good cause will do –  and please let us know how much you raised and which charity you donated to. Elsewhere in the UK, the Jam Jar Army has been used to raise £800 in aid of Humber Rescue, £400 for London’s homeless and £240 for Derwentside Mind. (That is a national total of £24,690 for five good causes.)

One of the best things about what we are doing is you can fill your jam jar again. And again. All in your own time – either for the nominated charity or for a charity of your choice.

Join the Jam Jar Army and

*you give money you won’t miss

*you give at a time you can afford

*you get to feel good about yourself for pennies (it’s a well-known fact that the act of giving lights up the brain in exactly the same way as the act of receiving.)

*it’s green too.

Forget the old excuse “I gave at the office”. You can tell them “I gave at home” and mean it. And as those pennies fill that jar, know you’re making a difference.

Together we can make this a habit. A habit of giving.

Let’s get jammy.”

Judith O’Reilly

I loved this idea. When I was growing up my local Sunday School had Sunshine Smiles Book. You had to sell pictures of children from far away lands to give to Charity. I still have my little collectors badge. That will not be going anywhere in the three a day de-clutter challenge. We also had a papier mache Globe shaped Money Box which sat on the sideboard for Overseas Charities. I am not sure why we decided as a family to save for overseas charities. We lived in Devon and until they died my parents only ever went to Cornwall on holiday and never flew in an aeroplane but that was how it was.

So, I got my jam jar out of the Chutney making cupboard and put it on the side. Then I looked at it and it just looked dull. So, I got my trusty hook out and pimped my jar! Love it now. The " Sporty One " approves and clinks too!


So, as soon as it is full I will contact the Jam Jar Army barracks and take my pennies to Hannah's. Not an Overseas charity but one very close to my heart.

Do you think you could join? And if you pimp your jar I would love to see it!



11 comments:

  1. Great idea, Linda, I love the jam-jar cover and the idea of collecting pennies. But how will you know when your jam-jar is full?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping by Jean. The lid comes off so I can see it filling up nicely . I loved the I idea of being a part of a big charity push yurt donate to something that means a lot on a personal level. Are you going to join the army?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea's there Linda and thanks for the comments on my blog, the stash buster challenge is now up and running my stash is beyond getting organised I think there is just no where to put it all haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for popping in. Good luck with all that wool comforting xx

      Delete
  4. I'm joining in.Just need to find a jam jar.Gosh-Sunny Smiles books.That brings back memories from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy busy ... So glad you have the same memories xx

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely idea my jar is at the ready, I think I will crochet it a little wrap to keep it cosy. I also like the three a day plan and is something I should start, I'm always getting charity bags through the door which have weekly pick ups.
    I love your crochet blanket - I love blankets and have a knitted one on the go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Good luck with the jam jar challenge xx

      Delete
  6. Great idea Linda..might just try it although I often donate change in the charity boxes on shop counters. My son used to love the ones where you put the money in the top of the vortex and it spins round and round and round and down..realised the other day he must think he's too old...as he didn't want to do it...:( (so I had to!!) I expect you'll get lots of opportunities to try it out with your little lad.
    I remember Sunny Smiles too!!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me an age to finish the marmalade but I am now ready to do a colourful cover for the jar and get started - thank you for a great idea Linda
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.