Saturday, 24 November 2012

Hooking in the rain!!

The news is right it has not stopped raining for days.

Last year we undertook an extreme makeover on the house we have lived in for 25 years.
So many wonderful things are better,warmer,easier just lovely.
We moved to the back of the house and I love this view.


We married, and all our children were christened in the village church.
 I never tire of looking out over the fields and seeing the church nestled among the clouds.

But it has been very different this week!


Grey and wet. 
Relentless rain.


The little stream that trickles through the field next door started to flood the field!
We have seen it cover the whole field so no need for concern as yet!
Well. a bit of rain does not get me down.
As I get older I accept the faces of the weather as just a part of life.
A part I do not want to waste.
So my therapy is to get my trusty hook out and work with bright,zingy,sunshiney colours.

I have not made a chevron blanket for ages, and I am loving this one.
Soft cotton yarn and random stripey loveliness.




It is not finished yet and I have not been sewing in the threads as I have hooked!
But I don't mind sewing in so that is fine.

If you want to make one here is how I worked mine with a size 4.00 hook and double knit soft cotton. 

Tips on stitches .. tr3tog = ( Yarn over hook, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over hook and draw through, yarn over hook and draw through 2 loops on hook )3 times, yarn over hook and draw through all 4 loops on hook.This took me a while to get when I first tried a Chevron blanket. The answer for me was to realise you are working across 3 stitches -- I kept trying to work the decrease in the same stitch.

1.Work 163 chain.
2. Work 1 treble 4th chain from hook ( this counts as 2 trebles ) Work 1 treble in each of next 8 chain,(tr3tog, 1 treble in each of next 10 chain, 2 chain, 1 treble in each of next 10 chain )6 times, tr3tog, 1 treble in each of next 10 chain and turn.
3 . This is the pattern row. 3 chain (counts as 1 treble) 1 treble in each of first 9 stitches,( tr3tog, 1treble in each of next 9 trebles, work 1 treble,2 chain and 1 treble in the 2 chain space, 1 treble in each of next 9 trebles) 6 times, tr3tog, 1 treble in each of next 8 trebles, 2 trebles in top of 3 chain.

That is it ! Just work as many rows as you want and enjoy the zig zagging of colour , especially if it is raining with you too!

4 comments:

  1. love the colours in your blanket,I've been asked to make a dolls pram blanket, and I'm cheating a bit by using variegted yarn , it forms its own stripes, so no sewing in of the ends

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blanket really is an antidote for the grey weather we are experiencing at the moment!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice and bright, and perfect for the grey days of winter. Bet it's comfy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's rainy on this side of the pond, too. Crocheting sunny colors is wonderful in such weather, but at the moment I am working on crocheting my first snowflake [in white :)] Thanks for posting, Linda:)
    xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.