Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Counting my blessings. Sadness and compassion.

We were over the moon when William was born.
He was well and such a good weight.
What a lot to be thankful for!!
We felt truly blessed.

When he was in hospital he had a beautiful blanket that his lovely mummy had crocheted for him at the end of his cot.
 One of the nurses admired.it and they got chatting.
My lovely daughter in law told her all about our journey together as she learnt to knit and crochet.

When I went to give William a cuddle the same nurse asked me if I would help the Special Care Baby Unit!
Of course the easy request was for little hats!


My Dear Mother In Law is a star with these too!

The nurse then hesitated and asked if I had ever knitted "Angel Pockets!"
I have in the past, and totally realise how wonderful it must be to have something to wrap a little baby in who  has sadly passed away.
I decided to wait awhile as it is quite a hard task and I just wanted my time as a first time Grandma to be joyous.
It has been and even better than I could have dreamed.
So every day I have counted our family's blessings but that request from the nurse has been quietly waiting for acknowledgement.
I had only knitted them before -- quite a lengthy process.
Here is the pattern I use
Cast on 3 stitches.
Knit 1.  Then increase 1 at the beginning of every row until you have 60 stitches.
Knit 1 row.
Knit 1. Knit 2 together until you have 3 stitches remaining and cast off.


To make the pocket work in exactly the same manner on a second part but cast off when you have knitted the row with 60 stitches.


Place the triangle on top of the square and sew the pieces together leaving the top section open.
Crochet 2 ties consisting of 40 chain stitches and attach to each side.
The pocket can be decorated in lots of different ways.
Quite simply.


Or decorated with lace and ribbons.


Now I was pleased with these but actually wanted a quick alternative so that the Special Baby Care Unit would have a nice little supply to help everyone through such a sad time.
So out came my trusty hook!
And within a very short time ---


A trusty Granny square -- I worked 10 rounds as I wanted it be a useful size


Work a row of scallops on 2 edges.
These will become the top of the pocket.

It took me a while to work out how to work the second part of the pocket.

This works for me!

Chain 6 and turn. Work 3 trebles in the 3rd chain from your hook.
Work 1 treble in the next chain and finish the row with 3 trebles in the last chain space. 7 Trebles in total..Turn
Chain 3 (these chains become the first treble in your next row) Work 2 further trebles in the first chain space. Work 1 treble in the next 5 chains and finish the row with 3 trebles in the last chain space. 15 trebles in total.Turn.
Continue increasing in this way on every row until the second part of the pocket matches half of the original granny square.


Place the 2 parts together.
Sew or crochet the 2 parts together.
 Make the 2 ties and a quick answer to an Angel Pocket has been created.



I am so glad I have made a lovely big bundle of these and hope they bring some solace at such a sad time.
If you could possibly make some I am sure your local Special Care Baby Unit would be incredibly grateful or if you would prefer please email me and I would willingly deliver yours to Barnstaple Special Care Baby unit the next time I am lucky enough to go to North Devon to give William a cuddle and you can be sure as I am cuddling him I will be counting my blessings.

9 comments:

  1. Those little hats are so sweet, you are right Linda you have to be in a the right frame of mind when you make the Angel pockets, but it's nice to know that the little Angel will be wrapped in something so pretty and that will give some comfort to the parents.

    Have you seen where your Daisy's are growing now, check my blog lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy and sad post rolled into one! We are lucky to have our healthy children/grandchildren, aren't we? I've never heard of angel pockets before but it's a lovely idea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I count my blessings each day for happy, healthy grandchild. Making Angel Pockets for those less fortunate is a comfort, and a way to give thanks. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! And so generous with your time. We had a little baby boy that was still born... He would be 10 years old next month. It was the most painful experience of my life. They wrapped him and put him in a little crocheted hat. We were able to hold him and spend some time saying goodbye. I still have these things tucked away in a little box. Treasures I will keep with me all of my days. These little items will have huge meaning to the families who receive them. Thanks you from all of us mommys who have lost babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all those lovely comments. Sara I can not even imagine such sadness but I am so glad you were able to spend some time with your little boy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all those lovely comments. Sara I can not even imagine such sadness but I am so glad you were able to spend some time with your little boy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this, I've been knitting them but crochet is better for me and the edging is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to have helped Lisa-- The crochet versions are so much quicker -- so more to give to the special care units x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The owner decided after the event to donate half
    of the proceeds back to the students. I won't spoil your surprises and give away any more details. Spice things up by including these Halloween-themes recipes:.

    Also visit my site; online degree

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.