Thursday, 1 December 2011

These are a few of my favourite things! Memories of Grandma x




Memories and baking!



My Maternal Grandma was a farmers wife and a wonderful cook!
As I have said before she taught me everything I know about Crafting!
She was born in 1900 and her birthday was on the 5th of December.
So, of course I am thinking of her as a new month begins!

She ALWAYS had a cake in the tin, biscuits in the jar and a pie or pasty in the pantry!
So this morning I remembered her biscuits and found the old recipe!
I so remember being allowed to do the rolling and cutting but not the watching in the oven as I was such a daydreamer they would burn!!
Here is her recipe and it makes so many biscuits!
8 ounces of butter softened-- no Margarine was allowed near her baking!
5 Ounces of caster sugar.
1 Egg Yolk
10 ounces of Plain Flour!

Mix the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until creamy. Add the egg yolk and mix well.Add sieved flour and mix well
Roll til required thickness and cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until pale golden. Re-roll scraps to get the maximum amount of yummy biscuits!
The oven today would need to be 160 degrees.
I guess you could add all sorts of flavourings but this was the recipe Grandma used.


Enough for us. 
One for Salome,the little Spanish girl who lives next door.
And enough for a little gift!



Something else she taught me was never to have the oven on for just one thing so next to the biscuit recipe was her recipe for a Boil and Bake Cake!

1 Cup of water
4 ounces of Butter
1 tablespoon of syrup
2 Cups of dried fruit.
1 teaspoon of mixed spice.
1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda.
3/4 cup of sugar.
Boil all these ingredients for 5 minutes.
Cool the mixture
Add 
1 beaten egg
2 cups of Self Raising Flour
Bake for approximately 1 and a quarter hours in a Moderate oven -- 160 degrees.
Or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Wow! The house smelt lovely and it was so easy to remember Grandma as I was baking.
Wouldn't it be lovely if you could just have them back for an hour or two and have a little walk down Memory Lane together!

5 comments:

  1. What a smart photograph, which lady was Grandma? I love both of the recipes and I bet Salome enjoyed her biscuit. You will be making the Sporty one feel spoiled if you keep baking him 'English Family Favourites'. I love it if I dream about my Nana...do you ever dream about yours? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My Grandma was second from the right in the photo. My Grandad died when I was two. The three other younger members of the family are my Mum and her two brothers.
    Sadly both Grandma's sons died when they were 45 and my Grandma never really got over their deaths. And my poor Mum missed her brothers so much. I dream of my Mum most -- actually quite often. She passes away in 2004 but now the "Circle of LIfe" continues to turn as we await our first Grandson.
    Thank you so much for popping in x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful when the house is filled with fragrant baked goods, and the memories are stirred with the batter. Whenever i smell a fresh-baked pie, I think of my Mom and her delicious baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look scrumptious Linda I will give them a try. I have fond memories of my Grandma too, she was a wonderful pie maker, my favourites were corned beef, and her apple pie's were yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda
    A lovely post I really enjoyed reading. I can smell from here! I bet you are really excited please give Charlotte my love x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.