Friday, 9 December 2011

A simple baby mitten pattern and no sign of the kittens!

Mittens!



So many years spent with the "littlies" has left me with songs and rhymes in my mind!
This week I wanted to knit some very simple baby mittens
As simple as can be!
So I decided to make up my own pattern and here they are!
Sweet in minty green!


A little bit of seed stitch to add some texture!


And a final pair in grey.


In case you want to make a pair or two here is the pattern -- it is so quick and easy and perfect for cold little fingers!

Using 3.25 and 4.00 mm needles and Double Knitting wool.


Cast on 24 stitches using 3.25 mm needles and work 10 rows of Knit1,Purl 1 rib.
Change to 4mm needles and knit 10 rows in stocking stitch. 1 row knit,1 row purl.
Shaping--- Starting with a knit row
1st Row--- Knit first 2 stitches together through back of stitches. Knit 8 stitches Knit 2 stitches together.Knit 2 stitches together through back of stitches. Knit 8 stitches. Knit last 2 stitches together.(20 stitches)
2nd Row--- Purl.
3rd Row---Knit first 2 stitches together through back of stitches. Knit 6 stitches. Knit 2 stitches together,knit 2 stitches together through back of stitches,knit 6 stitches,Knit last 2 stitches together (16 stitches)
4th Row---Purl.
5th Row--Knit first 2 stitches together through back of stitches. Knit 4 stitches Knit 2 stitches together. Knit 2 stitches through back of stitches Knit last 2 stitches together (12 stitches)
6th Row -- Knit first 2 stitches through back of stitches. Knit 2 stitches. Knit 2 stitches together .Knit 2 stitches through back of stitches. Knit last 2 stitches together. (8 stitches)


This method of working both through the back and front of the stitches gives a very neat shaping to the mitten.
Thread yarn onto a needle and thread through the remaining 8 stitches and pull up tightly. Fold mittens in half and sew side seam.

To make the little mittens with seed stitch work the stocking stitch rows as follows--
Row 1 -- Knit 1, purl 1
Row 2--- Purl1,knit 1
Continue in this way shaping as previously keeping the seed pattern correct (as much as possible!) on the decrease rows.


If you have any problems please email me!

5 comments:

  1. You can never have too many mittens...hats are a different story...you are being productively patient...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Sky -- My suitcase is packed even though it is a week until we fly home! I find the woolly stuff so soothing! So I wonder how many other items will be finished as I patiently wait for news!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wish I could hand knit! Specially the tiny things that crochet just makes too bulky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the little kittens don't lose those mittens! they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on writing, great job!

    Stop by my webpage ... whole bean coffee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.