Thursday, 10 November 2011

LONG HAUL WITH A GRANNY! A TUTORIAL FOR A SUNBURST SQUARE

Sometimes you do get the feeling that you do need to try something new!



A BIG project that will last a while and make you feel you have been on a long journey together.



A challenge and a commitment,.
Actually it results in one heck of a lot of sewing in woolly ends!




But, I am literally hooked!
I have seen these gorgeous Granny Circles that transform themselves into squares.




Well everything in my mind seems to be manifesting itself in shades of blue right now---- 
Only 5 weeks until our little Grandson is due to arrive in the world!
Now, as I have said before his lovely Mummy is busy making lovely snuggly blankets just for him.
Have a look here
So, although this is not for him, I seem to be seriously absorbed with all things blue!




I like this wool from Stylecraft.
It is soft yet hard wearing and nice to work with.
I had a look at a lot of patterns for these little squares but decided to just devise my own.
So here goes----
Abbreviations.---- htc. Yarn over hook.Hook through space pull loop through.you should have 3 loops on your hook.Yarn over hook and pull through all 3 loops on your hook. You have completed your
 half treble crochet stitch
Here are a few pictures to help-- I hope!







Round 1. Chain 3 and join with a slip stitch to make a loop.
Round 2. Chain 2 .This represents 1 half treble crochet.Work 11 more half treble crochet stitches in the central space. You have 12 half trebles in all.


Round 3 - Work 2 htc in each space and join the round in your beginning chain stitch..You should have 12 clusters of 2 htc-- 24 stitches in total.




Next the pretty little circle is going to start its metamorphosis to a square!



Round 4. 2 chain (theses stitches at the beginning of a round always equate to your first hdc) .1 htc, 1 chain, 2 htc. This forms your first corner. Work 2 htc in the next 2 spaces and then work your 2nd corner. Work 2 htc in next 2 spaces and then work your 3rd corner and complete your round with 2 htc. Slip stitch in the top chain stitch.

Round 5 and 6.. Work the last 2 rounds in exactly the same way as round 3 but work 3 and then 4 clusters of htc between each corner.




I wanted to join the little squares as I progressed. I joined them with a ridge to add texture to the design.
This can be achieved by placing the wrong sides of the squares facing hook through the edges with a double crochet stitch.


This gives you this extra effect!


TOP TIPS

Sew in the ends of your wool as you complete each square. I can not imagine what a chore it would be to have them all to do at the end of your project.



Give your squares a good pull to make sure they are a good square shape.
By working with 2 balls of Navy and starting with a corner in your last round you can save joining the wool every time you want to add a square!
This will click once you start!


So where am I now on my journey?



I am not always committed to a "long journey!"
But, I thought " Am I fed up?
"Shall I turn it into a cushion cover?"
No!
I am going for a Lappycuddlyghan at the very least!
I hope you are inspired to try my version of the Granny Sunburst!

12 comments:

  1. I love it so far so pretty, I will be interested to see how big it gets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So will I Linda-- and how long I am disciplined about sewing in the ends as I go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Usually the granny square afghans I've seen have been of many, many colors. I prefer your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Suz. I am really loving it and have had to pack it away for a while as I have a request for a Chunky Beanie for Christmas and was totally ignoring it whilst engrossed with those little squares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great instructions! The blue granny looks like it is made up of snowflakes - it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you quilary -- I am loving them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just edited this post :

    http://talesfromcuckooland.blogspot.com/2011/07/imagine-sound-of-right-royal-trumpet.html

    to include a link at the bottom to this tutorial of yours.Hope that's ok with you.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, I just had a look at this tutorial of yours, and I think I will use it for a blanket in the future! It would be very nice done in a "flowers in the snow" color scheme. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Appreciation to my father who informed me about this web site, this blog is
    in fact amazing.

    My blog post jocuri strategice online gratuite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your means of explaining everything in this post is truly pleasant, all be capable
    of simply understand it, Thanks a lot.

    Here is my blog post bancuri culmi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

    Also visit my web blog ... Juegos

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time
    a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks!

    Look into my web page: jocuri cu batman

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.