Saturday, 13 August 2011

Martha's Vineyard- A real treat!


In the 17c a Mariner named Bartholomew Gosnold  found wild grapes on this island and named it Martha after one of his daughters.
Prior to 1640,3000 Wampanoag Indians lived on the island.
Yesterday we added to the swelling summer numbers when we went to visit.
And what a treat we were in for!






Even a reminder of Buster back home!


Sunday mornings in my childhood were spent sitting "on best behaviour" next to my Grandma in the Methodist Chapel in Newton Abbot.
She never touched a drop of alcohol,prayed on her knees by her bedside until she died and would never do any work on a Sunday!
So, I had read about the "Gingerbread Houses" of Martha's Vineyard and that was our first stop.










These little cottages,numbering around three hundred, look like they are straight out of a Hansel and Gretel Story Book.
In 1835 the Methodist Camp Meeting began holding summer revival meetings here.Originally the members set up camps but as the revivals grew more popular the tents were replaced by these cottages which were adorned with extra decorations every year!
They are still lived in, but one has been changed into a Museum.
I remember our family Bible being exactly like this one.
 All the important family dates were written inside the cover!





A hand sewn quilt depicting the flora and fauna of the states of America.












Services are still held in the Tabernacle which was built in 1879.




And I had to just step in the Methodist Church built so long ago!




I only had to close my eyes and I could hear my Grandma singing one of the many John Wesley hymns she loved so much!
So more than a little walk down memory lane.
And a very beautiful day.

4 comments:

  1. What a very beautiful and cozy place, Linda. Thank you for sharing all those amazing photos/views with us. I'd like to snuzzle down into that big bed and sleep for awhile. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this delightful tour of a lovely place. Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are having such a fantastic time, so far from home yet the memories of your childhood in Newton Abbot come to the surface. How sweet are those houses? I would move in like a shot. Absolutely beautiful.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all those lovely photos - I would love to vist Marthas Vineyard.
    The sweet litle houses are so pretty, each one different.
    And how lovely that so far from you home you are having happy childhood memories.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.