Wednesday, 6 April 2011

UK Double Crochet Stitch and Piggy Tails! -- My New BEST Friend!




I was thinking that actually I might be wasting my time putting these simple stitches on my blog--- a bit like reinventing the wheel!
But today I discovered something really interesting!
My clever Daughter In Law laughs at my aversion to the UK Double Crochet Stitch which I USED to get confused about, thinking it was a  Single Crochet Stitch!
Not a very good basis for teaching my friend!
So today I changed my "Don't Worry" attitude to Worry and get this right!
So I sat with my hook and an inspiring colour and within 2 lines I was at the
 " I knew I hated this stitch!"
stage but all of a sudden I realised why and I hope this "Lightbulb moment!" might help you too!
It will certainly help me teach my friend my new favourite stitch- !
I hope the Chain Stitch from my last post is now galloping off the hook!



To make your first row of Double Crochet poke your hook through the chain where you wish to work.


I want to work 1 Double Crochet in each chain .
Yarn over hook.




Pull yarn back through chain giving that little twist to help keep the yarn on your hook.




You now have 2 loops on your hook.




Yarn over hook and pull through both loops.




And there is your first Double Crochet Stitch.



Well I thought it only fair to persist to show you a piece of work!




A rectangle of lines of Double Crochet -- but look carefully at the following picture.




Can you see that bumpy edge at the beginning of my work. 
In fact if you look closely it is fairly bumpy from top to bottom.
I never knew whether the first double crochet should be worked in the first space from the hook or whether to leave a space. I would count to keep the right number of stitches but the "Don't worry" idea would mean if I was a stitch short I would just do 2 in the last space -- bumpy edges!!
So my "lightbulb" moment was to realise that you always work the first Double Crochet in the first space after the hook and after 1 chain for turning!




Oh the joy of a completely bump free edge and a perfect rectangle!
So try Double Crochets, and before long you will be working 2 Double Crochets in each chain stitch and this will happen all on its own!
The tail of a snake!







Curly Key Ring Charms!



Curly Bobbles on Baby Hats.




And I have an idea of a mobile for a baby for these non-fattening Curly Wurly's.




As for the rectangle -- well Double Crochet and I have now become best friends so I soon hooked another rectangle without wobbly edges.
I have found some pretty fabric and have a special present in mind!



So have fun with my new best friend.
Of course if you are making wonderful coral similar to the photo above I guess you can revert to "Don't Worry" and just work for effect. Oh the joys of Crochet!

20 comments:

  1. Lovely clear instructions, I am fascinated by the curly 'pigs tails' I will have to try. I have never done that before but what an interesting result. You look and sounds like you are having great fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inthesky -- What a wonderful idea for piggies tails. I even amended the title. Thank you. I love the way someone can look at something and see something entirely new. So thank you
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely look to the stitch. Your tutorials are very clear and concise. I am determined to master crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're never too old to learn new tricks, are we? Love your tutorials and will recommend them to my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both Shirl and Janet -- your comments are so encouraging! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh I do admire you for showing the world!
    I'd be panicking.....
    I always get confused with double crochet, single crochet, half trebles, trebles etc. Just would rather do what I think.
    Great linda, well done,
    hugs suex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Sue( Mrs Twins) There is the true answer to not worrying too much about crochet. Your blankets are absolutely beautiful and yet you think you get confused. Long may such a wonderful confusion reign.
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets
    I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Have a look at my blog - vertical leap exercises

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother recommended I may like this blog. He was once totally right.
    This publish actually made my day. You cann't consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

    My homepage ... exercises to increase vertical Jump

    ReplyDelete
  10. The owner decided after the event to donate half of the proceeds
    back to the students. You make different challenges like scavenger hunts, food challenges, mazes
    and races. That is the new craze in on the internet
    gaming, and numerous girls and teens are possessing a blast.


    Stop by my website; http www google com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even just 15 minutes a day keeps your piano playing ability
    in tune. -- Chord Symbol: Dm. Once you know these scales, in all
    twelve keys, then you have a very solid foundation on which to learn how to play piano chords.


    Here is my web site: opm songs with piano chords and notes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and emotional.
    I believe my exact words were "I don't want to be your dirty little secret. 8.

    my blog :: Good pub quiz names

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi my family member! I want to say that this post is amazing,
    nice written and include almost all important infos. I would like to look extra posts like
    this .

    Look at my web blog :: all inclusive vacation deals april 2013

    ReplyDelete
  14. ' Satanic Ritual - Decorate the space with human sacrifice, goblets of blood, pentagrams, and things draped in black. The game was released on August 3, and is in stores now, but probably is where it will remain, sad to say. Play games all night long in keeping with the twenties theme such as various card games and crossword puzzles.

    Stop by my homepage - minneapolis minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  15. Upon returning to the starting line, the first player must pass the sugar cube to the next teammate
    in line and so on. The game was released on August 3, and is in stores now,
    but probably is where it will remain, sad to say. Every Halloween party that people remember later in
    the year by saying things like "Do you remember so-and-so's Halloween party last year.

    Visit my web page: bankrate

    ReplyDelete
  16. The decor on the inside of the restaurant is absolutely beautiful.
    *Rounds table format. They feature almost nightly drink specials and some form
    of entertainment every night of the week--DJ's, live music, trivia, you name it.

    Here is my website ... pub quiz answers and questions

    ReplyDelete
  17. squares with various tea leaves and tea flavors inside each square.
    A murder mystery game is a fun way to pass the
    time during the twenties theme party. Play games all night long
    in keeping with the twenties theme such as various card games and crossword
    puzzles.

    Have a look at my weblog 台南市

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological and emotional.
    * Team answer sheets - Basically a grid lined A4 type sheet with answer write
    in numbered boxes and a line on top for the team name.
    They feature almost nightly drink specials and
    some form of entertainment every night of the week--DJ's, live music, trivia, you name it.

    My weblog; great pub quiz names

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I'm hoping to offer something back and aid others such as you aided me.

    Here is my web page: workouts to improve vertical Jump

    ReplyDelete
  20. Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however
    I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to
    check out and do it! Your writing style has been
    surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.

    My web-site :: vertical jump program review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.