Saturday, 9 April 2011

Triple Treble Fun-- Granny Squares,Ripples and the World is your Oyster


Treble Crochet Stitch.
Now I need no encouraging words to tell you of my love for the UK Treble Crochet Stitch.
Maybe it's because I love it when my projects grow quickly and they certainly do with this stitch.
Once you have mastered it the Crochet World really is your Oyster and you can have such fun with blankets,throws in fact the only thing that will hold you back is your own imagination.
So here we go---
The Treble Crochet stitch is twice as tall as a Double Crochet Stitch and makes a less compact piece of work
Of course now we are getting familiar with the Foundation Chain Row.




Take the yarn over the hook and locate the 4th chain from the hook.






This understanding of where to place your first stitch in your chain will give you so much confidence so I am going to digress from the 4th chain for a moment.






Turning chain do not count as a stitch.
They actually just take you to the right height for the beginning of your next row so that the edge of your work stays straight and true.

Each type of stitch has a recommended number of turning chains.
Double Crochet = 1 Turning chain
Treble Crochet = 3 Turning Chain.

This means you will always have a different number of Treble Stitches than the number of chain stitches in your foundation row because the 3 that you use for your Turning Chain in effect become your 1st Stitch. So if you want a piece of work with 20 Treble Stitches you must have a Foundation Row of 23 chains.

You generally do not need a turning chain for Single Crochet or Slip Stitch because all you are doing in this case is moving across your work, perhaps to get to a different part and you wouldn't want the row to show.


So back to our Treble Stitch.
We have taken the yarn over the hook and found the 4th chain.( This is the first time we have put the yarn over the hook before poking it in the chain!)
Poke the hook through the 4th chain from the hook.
Catch the yarn with your hook.



Draw the tarn back through the chain remembering that little twist. 







You will now have 3 loops on your hook


Take the yarn over the hook and draw it through 2 of the loops on your hook. You will now have 2 loops on your hook.



Take the yarn over your hook again.



Draw the the yarn through these remaining 2 loops. You will now have 1 stitch left and you have done it! Your first Treble!





Continue along your Foundation Row and you will have a row of Trebles.
Now you have to remember the 3 chains for turning.





Turn your work and locate the 2nd Treble in your previous row and work the first Treble of your 2nd Row.



At the end of this second row your last Treble is worked in the top chain stitch of the turning chain on your previous row.




Oh! I do hope this is clear because I can promise you once you " GET" this stitch your hook will be red hot!
And you will only have to look at places like Flickr or suffer like I do with Blog Hopping Disease and get totally addicted to Crochet.
Of course there are other stitches and other things to learn but I actually think the rest will simply fall into place as you Crochet more.
If there is anything I can help with please leave me a message.
Now I realise I must get back to Operation Christmas Child and those Boys!


To be revealed with a Tutorial in my next post!

14 comments:

  1. Oh, you're such a tease! What are you up to, spider-wise?

    Btw, you mentioned that single crochet again - is this the same as a slip stitch???

    Also, btw, sometimes the turning chain does count as a stitch, as when starting a new round of a granny square, but the pattern should make this clear.

    Sorry, I don't mean to be so picky, it's just the way I am. Your tutorials are great and the pictures very clear.

    Enjoy your weekend!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet thank you for your support. In this tutorial I was meaning that Single Crochet can be called Slip Stitch and that they are to my knowledge the same in Uk Stitch Terms.And yes, the turning chain can be counted as a stitch in some patterns.
    I hope your progress is coming along really well.
    The next post is far more "Be Happy and Don't Worry" in style!
    I love to read comments so Thanks again for popping in!
    Kindest Regards Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice clear easy instructions. looking forward to seeing what your tutorial is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for clearing that up, Linda. Just trying to finish off my cardy today, then I can start on some serious puppety stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such good instructions! I did about 6 blankets years ago with this stitch but had no idea what it was called and now could not remember for the life of me how to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lynda thanks for such a lovely comment x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I finished my first crochet piece yesterday, if I can take a good picture of it I'll make a post today. Your blog is in favorite list. I do love it, and I love your banner as well.
    A very nice week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regina -- I will so look forward to seeing your first Crochet piece. Thanks for popping over to my world!
    Kindest Regards Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golly well done what fun!
    Love suex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue-- Thank you so muh for popping in.Lovely to see you here. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial Linda. And that crocheted coral so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sara-- The Coral is amazing isn't it!
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Linda,
    Thanks so much for leaving me such a lovely comment. It must have been fate as I was amazed to see your blog and especially this post as I have only recently been thinking I would like to have a go at crocheting and have been looking for a good book for beginners and here is your brilliant tutorial. I will be studying it - a lot!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bluebell I am so pleased you popped in and so happy the Tutorials will help! Be ready for a life of addiction!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.