Thursday, 24 March 2011

Tutorial for a Slimline version of the Crochet Bear Puppet.



So, we have had the cheeky fat bears, and now I have been working hard at introducing a Slimline version!




Teddy may not look a lot different,but, I can assure you in reality he looks like he has shed more than a few kilos and will fit a child's hand so much more readily!
I decided for ease to work the whole teddy shape in 1 piece and then fold it in half for sewing up.


So here we have it -- A tutorial --


 You may fancy making 1 ,2 or more than a few.
 Maybe for Charity like me or maybe you have a very special little one who just loves bears!
.Row 1. Chain 17.




Row 2. Treble in 1st chain and continue across row making a foundation row of 17 trebles.





 Always using 2 chain to turn and counting carefully to keep the 17 trebles correct work 12 more rows.





I wanted these skinnier bears to actually have a neckline for their scarf so on the next row (row 15.) Slip stitch across the 1st stitch in the row. Crochet 2 chain which represents the 1st treble in your new row and work 14 more trebles across the row making 15 trebles in total.


Can you see this almost marks a shoulder point!
Work 14 rows of 15 trebles.


Now we need to work the shoulder point on the back of the puppet so on the next row we need to increase the trebles back to 17.
Chain 2 for turning and place 1 treble in the very first space after the hook and work your way across the line placing 2 trebles in the last space.You should now have 17 trebles again
( I count in my head so often to check I have it right!!)
Work 14 rows of trebles.


And here we have it!!!
Fold your work in half to make your teddy!


And now let the fun begin!
Using a double crochet stitch join the 2 sides together leaving a gap for the arms.
When you get to the corner of the ear work 10 trebles to make a lovely pointy ear.
Create arms-- obviously 2!!!
Crochet a chain of 20 and work 2 rows of trebles.
Fold in half and loosely join the outside edges with a double crochet stitch.This looseness allows a little one to jiggle their thumb or finger around and bring the puppet to life!
Sew the 2 arms into the gaps left when crocheting the 2 sides together. They should sit just below the decrease which represents the shoulders!


I often find it really hard to get the features organised -- of course my friends think this gives my creations charm!!
But I have decided to have a picture close by to guide me.


So now we are almost there, just a few fun things to finish.
Make a scarf in whatever colour takes your fancy.
I worked a chain of 70 and single crochet in Row 2 .
Also, because these bears are for Charity, and I am sending lots of loving thoughts as I make them I add a little heart from Skip to My Lou Blog.
Chain 3 and slip stitch to make a circle. Working every stitch into the circle Chain 2, 3 trebles. 3 double Crochet. I chain, 1 treble, 1 chain, 3 double crochet, 3 trebles and finish with 3 chain.
So, because I worry whether my patterns will really work, I work at them 3 or 4times before I put them on "Chalky's World"  but what a lovely result!


If you have any problems please email me but I hope you have lots of fun!
And if you fancy a little colour in your life --


Oh! and I have been so happy to have a little flurry in my followers total x

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial, I will definitly try it. You have been really busy with these, I don't know where you find the time! They're lovely, and the faces are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janet -- just wanted to keep trying until I was happy with the pattern-- they actually
    "grow" really quickly-- that is the joy of crochet versus knitting x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tutorials! Thank you for this one and thank you for your nice comment on my blog. It is nice to see you back from your wonderful travels. I am a bit behind in visiting blogs as of late... I don't think I will ever catch up. Have a wonderful weekend!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very kind to everyone showing them how to make these gorgeous little fellas!
    Simply wonderful,
    hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up, the whole thing is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that's in
    fact fine, keep up writing.

    Review my web site: jocuri mari online

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother recommended I may like this website.

    He used to be entirely right. This post actually
    made my day. You cann't believe simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog: jocuri online cu pirati

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

    Feel free to visit my web-site ... Juegos Gratis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

    Here is my homepage; jocuri online 3d noi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him.

    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!


    Also visit my webpage ... bancuri sexy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very soon this site will be famous amid all blogging people, due to
    it's good articles or reviews

    my weblog; jocuri poker online

    ReplyDelete
  11. If all players are wrong the murderer gets away and everyone loses.
    You make different challenges like scavenger hunts,
    food challenges, mazes and races. I hope you have fun
    planing a birthday party for your tween, I hope my birthday party ideas for tween's helped you.

    My page ... home improvement loan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.