Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Snakes -- Let's hear it for the BOYS!



All the little boys I have ever known love toy snakes!
They like the rubber ones that stretch and stretch and seem to appear in Grandmas's Chair!
They like to keep them in their pockets and pretend to make them bite you.
I used to keep a pot of plastic snakes to interest the "littlies," especially the boys in some counting, when in truth they would rather be playing with cars on the carpet!
So I thought snakes would be a good filler for the Christmas boxes with boys in mind!
Kathy uses a simple pattern, so I was off, using all the scraps in my stash!








Here are the instructions if you would like to make a snake for someone in your life!

I think they look particularly effective if you use 2 strands of different coloured wool together.
Row1Chain 3 and slip stitch in the first stitch to make a loop.


 Row 2. Work 8  Double Crochet stitches into the loop. You may have to wiggle your hook a little to fit them all in and slip stitch stitch into the first stitch to complete your round.

Row3. Work 8 more Double Crochets into the top of  the stitches on the previous row not the central loop. By keeping your tension quite tight you will see the beginning of an acorn cup shape starting to appear which will become the snakes head.

Row 4. Repeat Row 3 but at the end of your row close the head by working a few Double Crochet stitches across the open circle.

This makes the head. You could always work a few more rounds of double crochet if you wanted a bigger head or experiment with the closing double crochets if you wanted a flatter shape.

 

Row 5. Chain 40 and turn.

Row 6. Double Crochet back to the head with 1 stitch in each chain. It's magic, it curls as you work with no effort whatsoever!

When you reach the head place 1 Double Crochet into the head shape to make the body firm.

Now the fun begins. Make your snake as fierce as you like!

Make a loop and stitch the wool backwards and forwards through the centre of the head ( you should not be able to see these stitches ) to make the tongue secure.
Snip the loop and here we have a hissing snake!


If you have any problems with this pattern please email me.
BUT one of the things I love about crochet is you really don't have to worry as it always seems to work out just right!
One word of warning--- they are totally addictive and seem to multiply all on their own and you end up with snakes everywhere!






The " Sporty One" even requested 1 for his pull along suitcase to distinguish it from the others at the airport.
I would have thought his label was sufficient!




Mine certainly is!




I am also have a fiddle with another boys toy for Operation Christmas Child.
 Can you guess what it is?




Will fiddle a bit more and then pop the instructions on here if you want to be overun by a different kind of beast!

15 comments:

  1. haha brilliant, is your new one a spider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's the kind of snake I don't mind pulling out of the pants' pockets I'm checking for the laundry!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, I love them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this pattern, Linda. Looks simple enough for me! I will pass it on to my OCC craft ladies, if that's ok with you. You seem to be full of ideas at the moment - can't wait to see what else you've conjoured up! And you are right - you don't have to worry too much about which stitch is what with crochet - it seems to get there in the end - although slowly for me still at present!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puppet Lady -- Please do and I hope you all have lots of fun with it. Kathy( Mioliere ) started me off on these -- They are such fun and a really good way of using up those odds and ends in the stash! Thank you all for your kind comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, what fun!
    I remember being chased at Junior school with plastic snakes and spiders. I was absolutely terrified with them.
    I must congratulate you, these are just so realistic.
    Youre' busy lately!!!!
    Love suex

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very welcome! This was a fun pattern to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite
    justification appeared to be at the internet
    the simplest factor to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as folks consider
    worries that they just do not recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon
    the highest as smartly as defined out the entire thing with no
    need side-effects , folks can take a signal.
    Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

    Here is my web blog 3d games online

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written!


    my web site; jocuri online bataie

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoah this weblog is magnificent i love reading your articles.
    Keep up the great work! You know, lots of individuals are hunting
    around for this information, you can help them greatly.



    Check out my web page roulette online

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not leave a response, however I browsed a few responses on "Snakes -- Let's hear it for the BOYS!".
    I do have a few questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or do some of these comments come across like they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at additional social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you list of the complete urls of all your social community pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    my page bancuri cu maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post provides clear idea for the new visitors of blogging, that
    in fact how to do blogging and site-building.

    Take a look at my web site meetnewpals.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return yet again since I saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

    Here is my website; bancuri cu caini

    ReplyDelete
  14. The owner decided after the event to donate half of the proceeds back to the students.

    This was zero cost because the students went to local stores and asked for either donations and gift cards to purchase these items.
    That is the new craze in on the internet gaming, and numerous
    girls and teens are possessing a blast.

    Stop by my web page: houston mortgage loans

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.