Friday, 29 October 2010

Just Ribbing!


Just Ribbing!
When Anne came to visit she came bearing gifts, all of the woolly variety.
She also bought a few patterns and I decided to give the Tea Cosy a try.
But I fancied a little fruity variation!


Very reminiscent of my childhood, and afternoon tea at 4.o'clock, with bread and jam and the teapot in the middle of the table.
Well I had never knitted this pattern before and if I am honest get a bit fed up of ribbing but actually I am really enjoying this stitch and you can make so many lovely things with it!
Clara of Clara's Crochet Room has asked for the pattern and as it's so old I don't think copyright would still apply.


Plain Tea Cosy
I knitted mine in DK but you could use the yarn doubled for extra cosiness
Cast on 33 stitches
1st Row K2,p2  to last stitch, K1
Repeat this row until work measures six and a half inches..
Decrease as follows:-
1st Row - K2, ( p 3 tog, K1) 10 times .p2 k1.
2nd Row- K2,p2 (k1,p1) 10 times, K1
3rd Row - K1 ( slip 1, knit 1 psso) 11 times,k2tog.
4th Row - K1 p, to last stitch ,K1
5th Row - (k2 tog ) 6 times K1.
Break off yarn leaving a tail. Thread through remaining stitches.


Work another piece in same manner and sew up leaving a hole for both your spout and handle.
 The leaves you can find the pattern here!
The stalk is just a little rectangle of garter stitch .rolled up and sewn to make a stalk and then sewn into the gathered top of the cosy.



Smaller versions-- egg cosies --- Oh but I hate making pom poms!
Cast on 33 stitches and rib for two and three quarter inches until the decrease.


Wrist warmers . Lovely and stretchy which really do spring back into shape after they have been pulled on and off.
Just work on a cast on amount of 45 stitches and rib for as long as you want the wrist warmers.



So Clara thank you so much for leaving a comment and becoming a follower --- I am nearly at the magical 50 mark!

16 comments:

  1. Love your quirky fruity tea cosy! And I think I'll try some wrist warmers - they look nice and easy! Your egg cosies look a bit like my finger puppets! (Don't think I've posted about those yet - must do that sometime!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the pattern. My Mom used to make tea cozies and this looks like the same pattern. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, wish i liked eggs so i could have some egg cosies!
    Great to have you here this week! Have fun ribbing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas I love them!
    I love some of these old patterns, its nice to be able to get your hands on them occasionally.
    Great projects,
    Have a good weekend,Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, for the pattern. So very thoughtful of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so welcome Clara -- Hope you pop back often to see what is going on in Chalky's World

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased you liked the patterns Linda.Love your twist on the Cosy and I must try some of the wristwarmers they will make great pressies for all the female family members x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so beautiful! Thank you soooooo much for the super-cute pattern, I can't wait to give it a try!
    Also thanks for your visit and lovely comment on my blog, I've become one of your fan so we can now keep in touch!
    Hope you have a great day! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This site truly has all the information and facts I wanted about this
    subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Also visit my blog post bancuri cu ingineri

    ReplyDelete
  10. This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to keep
    a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start
    my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

    Look at my page: jocuri online educative

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's awesome to visit this website and reading the views of all mates about this article, while I am also zealous of getting knowledge.

    my web page yutube bancuri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but
    I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues
    with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Also visit my page ... bancuri cu dinamo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This article provides clear idea in support of the new
    users of blogging, that truly how to do blogging and
    site-building.

    Also visit my web blog - jocuri online masini

    ReplyDelete
  14. The owner decided after the event to donate half of the proceeds back to the students.
    At the end of the party all of the papers write down
    who they think was the prohibition agent. You Divide everyone at the party into two groups, or tribes.


    Feel free to visit my blog post - clothing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will they be fed, watered, and cared for properly. Bond With Your Dog Through
    Play. In 2005, Ford, a Gateway employee, decided it was time for
    a career change.

    my web page hunting dog training articles

    ReplyDelete
  16. One thing that you should practice, and the only time that I believe you will dump your kayak
    will be when exiting and re-entering the boat. They can be found online as well as in many kayak
    shops across the country and in sporting good stores.
    As they thrashed from one end of the breakwater to the other, they made
    a FWAP-FWAP-FWAP.

    my weblog ... Hard Drive Recovery

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.