Monday, 19 April 2010

Animal,Vegetable,Mineral or just a substance to Blow Your Head Off !


"Food Glorious Food !"
I have been watching a tree in the next door garden with interest!
I have never seen fruit like it and I have of course been interested enough to find out more!
What a wonderful thing the internet is -- Google,Google, Google!
Ths fruit is known as Loquat in English or Nispero in Spanish. It has soft orange flesh with 3-5 almond-sized stones.It is native to Asia but grows in Mexico and the Southern United States as well as Central and South America.
The next thing was to ask our neighbour if he minded me picking a kilo or two -- he certainly did not!!
This got me thinking. We tasted some and were pleasantly surprised, a bit like a mango or a pear or certainly something nice!
Mango Chutney is very expensive in Spain as it is imported. So Nispero Chutney came to mind. Google,Google,Google and there to my delight was a recipe for Nispero Chutney. Would you believe it, but thank you to -
I always want to tamper with recipes but decided to follow the instructions carefully.
Pick 500g of Nisperos


Remove the peel and chop into small pieces.


Have a look at the pretty stones-- I am easily distracted!


Cook the fruit in half a cup of water with 2 minced Garlic Cloves and 2 teaspoons of minced Ginger until soft.
Add 400 grams of sugar, 4 teaspoons of salt. half a teaspoon of Cardomon seeds, 1 cup of vinegar and 1 teaspon of Chilli Powder. I hesitated at this point because I have a history with Chillies.
But,No, lets just for once go with it!


Cook until its thick and bottle.



Why have two jars?
Well have a look at the labels. The first is full of Nispero Chutney that is worthy of accompanying the hottest curry or should that be the mildest, because it will considerably heat it up!!
The second has been mixed with a recently made jar of Aubergine Chutney and I think it will taste delicious with some tasty cheese.
If you happen to find some Nisperos growing outside your door you should give the recipe a try but Easy Up on the Chillies!

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that fruit before. It certain looks delicious and your chutney looks wonderful. I buy imported chutney from England over here and it too is very expensive. Maybe I should have a go at making some. Hope you enjoy your week.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Chalkey Chutney triumph then? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. squares with various tea leaves and tea flavors inside each square.
    For adults, a virtual makeover of hair and makeup may be the equivalent of a little one hood game,
    with an improved style sensibility that tends to make the knowledge each
    entertaining and inspirational. You Divide everyone at the party into two
    groups, or tribes.

    Check out my site: Domain Registration

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I've shared your
    site in my social networks!

    my website hip waist ratio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fashion Games of Teen Girls Interested Are Fun These challenges are at times shared
    amongst buddies. For adults, a virtual makeover of hair and makeup may be the equivalent
    of a little one hood game, with an improved style sensibility that tends to make the knowledge each entertaining and
    inspirational. Cranberry studios developed this sequel while publisher Anaconda
    brings it to you in stores.

    My homepage; columbus ohio

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.