Friday, 5 February 2010

Let's get in a Pickle!

"Food Glorious Food!"
If I was an animal I am sure I would be a squirrel!
I love making things and then hoarding them away in the larder.
This is especially true of Chutneys,Pickles and Marmalade.
On a Friday we go to the market to buy all the fruit and vegetables we need for the week. 
This week we were particularly looking for Aubergines as I have delicious recipe for Aubergine Chutney!

So its get the Aubergines, Onions and Garlic
Gather all the spices I need. 
I love the big pots they sell here in Spain very cheaply.You don't seem to be constantly running out!
An electric coffee grinder blends them beautifully. Perfect for making Garam Marsala which is difficult to find here.
So nearly ready.
I always cheat and use the "whizzer" for chopping--- Life is too short!
And fat Garlic helps too!
So into the pan and a good stir and before you know it the magic has happened.
Bottles,labels, pretty material and ribbon add the special "Home Made " touches!
So its some for the larder, Some for gifts,1 to take home for a special Shrewsbury girl and some to try right now!!
I always put the date on the jars and it is February,so easy to see what date it should be!!



4 comments:

  1. I must admit I am a bit of a hoarder too! I love a good stocked pantry. Aubergine chutney sounds very delicious, and your looks yummy. Love the heart shaped aubergine, just perfect fo Valentines Day!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very industrious and lovely :-) I haven't made jam or chutney for a few years now. Keep threatening to, but don't seem to get around to it. You can't beat homemade chutneys and jams can you ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and smells delicious, Linda, I will defintely try some when we get back, especially as DH has just found a load of Kilner jars in one of the barns! They're a bit dusty and need sterilising but will be perfect for your chutney!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I will try and resist the urge to buy up the wool shop but, as it's been a long six months since my last visit, I might find it a bit too difficult!

    Thanks also for your good wishes for my trip - I can't believe the day has finally arrived. DH won't believe how much we have to get into the car - but that's another problem!

    Au revoir!

    KathyXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda
    I have just found your blog and was just delighted to see the wonderful teddy picture in your header. I knitted some teddies years ago and subsequently gave the pattern to my mother who was then in her early eighties. She went on to knit hundreds of teddies, right up until a few months before she died a couple of years ago, aged 90! I still have the last teddy she knitted - needless to say that one is not going anywhere.
    I'm also interested to read you posts about Spain as my in-laws have a place there and we visit from time to time.
    I really like your blog and will visit again.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.