Sunday, 28 February 2010

I don't like to be bitter but ---

"Orange Crush!"
It's that time of year again. The time when good friends appear with bags of bumpy Seville Oranges!
Its very strange here in Spain because they don't seem to eat marmalade and the trees with Seville Oranges  are absolutely laden but in the main remain unpicked.
I keep promising myself to copy all the recipes I have on scraps of paper but as long as I can find them all usually works well. These are scruffier than usual!



All this talk of Seville oranges brought back such happy memories of our wonderful trip to Seville last year.

It's cathedral, the Catedral de Santa Maria is the largest Gothic Cathedral and third largest church in the world,
The Giralda tower. The Bell Tower of the Cathedral.
Thankfully an empty Bull Ring the Plaza de Toros.The oldest Bullring in Spain.


 And of course Oranges!


As we travel around the Orange Groves look so beautiful. Dark satin green adorned with bright orange baubles.
I fully admit that I know myself very well these days. I love an end product but don't relish too long a journey to get there! So its cut up the oranges and ----


Tip the whole lot into the whizzer. No finding the pips and muslin bags for me!
Whizz to the most wonderful gloopy mess and top with water. A good stir and then a rest awhile -- for the oranges and me. Overnight.Then simmer this wonderful mixture for 21/2 hours.I keep the pan lid on as I find it catches if I don't and that is a real pain.
Sterilise the clean jars in an oven set at 140 deg.
Add sugar -- some white,some soft brown and some demerara.
Simmer until the sugar is melted and then bring to the boil and cook until setting point.
The marmalade wrinkles a little bit when a sample is placed on a cold plate.
I like to add a cupfull of Brandy and the juice of 1 lemon when the marmalade is cooked,
Then bottle and squirrel away.
1 in a beautiful marmalade pot to remind me of Mum.
And 1 in a little jar for breakfast in bed.
So here is the recipe -- perhaps not for purists but I can promise a marmalade full of flavour to enjoy.
Ingredients
12 Seville Oranges
3 lbs of sugar
1 teacup of Brandy
The juice of 1 lemon.

Method
Cut fruit and process in batches until roughly chopped.
Put in largw bowl. Cover with water and leave overnight
Bring to boli and simmer for 2 1/2 hours
Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Bring to boil and cook until a light setting stage is reached. ( I don't like my marmalade too solid so I am quite brave here as it sets so much as it cools)
Add lemon juice and brandy. Stir well and bottle in very clean, hot sterilised jars.
Enjoy!!

Variations
2 Red Grapefruit
4 Lemons
2 large Jaffa Oranges
2 Seville Oranges

I have tried a lot of variations and all have been successful. I think the overnight soaking brings out the natural pectin. The inclusion of pips is really not a problem after such a long cooking period

4 comments:

  1. OOh Linda this is an interesting post. Looks so yummy!These photos were really great.I didn't realise they had orange trees in the street,
    Hope good weekend for you
    Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this no-faffing method, Linda. I made marmelade for the first time this year and found all the chopping rather tedious. I'll try ths next time. Like the dash of Brandy idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puppet lady ---- I promise you it is absolutely brilliant. Not so much if clarity or the inclusion of even fine shredding is really of paramount importance to you but if you just want a delicious dollop that has not taken you hours-- Highly recommended. We don't like it too sweet and the brandy helps with the preservation

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful looking marmalade. Marmalade on toast is my favorite. Sometimes I eat it for a snack. I bet the dash of Brandy makes it taste divine. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe and your wonderful photos.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.