Saturday, 16 January 2010

A little bit of pampering and looking at some Myrrh!

"Grapefruit Juicy Fruit!"
Just before Christmas when time was at a premium I watched the "Grow your Own Drugs" Christmas Special. 
There was a lovely recipe for Orange,Clove and Myrrh massage Oil.
So On the Day before Christmas Charlotte and I set to and followed the instructions carefully and did end up with a jar of the most delicious smelling oil. 
I gave all that away to the girls hoping they would find time to pamper themselves knowing I would be able to try it again on our return to Spain.
So today, after visiting the market yesterday I decided to change the recipe slightly and add the skin of a grapefruit and mandarin to the oranges. They are so ripe and juicy here at the moment I thought it would add another dimension.

After spending so many years teaching little ones about the Three Kings and one of their gifts to the New Baby being Myrrh I was fascinated to actually see what it was like. This Myrrh wasn't bought on a camel but through the post thanks to modern Technology and Ebay, But it had travelled all the way from Somalia!
It reminds me of the posh brown sugar crystals you get in hotels.

So all in the whizzer except the myrrh!

It smelt absolutely gorgeous!

Add the Myrrh and give a stir to mix all the elements.
Place on top of a saucepan of simmering water for an hour '

Strain and leave to drain.



The wonderful coloured aromatic oil you are left with smells gorgeous,

Some bottled in a special bottle for me!

Some little bottles for gifts.

And some to beautifully scent the house and remind me of happy times at Christmas!

So in case you want to try it here is the recipe.


Peel of 5 oranges or tangerines
4 tablespoons of cloves.
400 ml of Sunflower Oil ( The second time I added more)
1 tablespoon of Myrrh resin.
1. Put the orange peel,cloves and Sunflower oil in a blender and whizz til smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of boiling water.
3. Add the Myrrh, then cover and leave to simmer for 1 hour making sure the pan does not boil dry.
4. Take off the heat and leave to cool. Strain the mixture and bottle up.


Myrrh's anti-inflammatory properties moisturises dry skin.


USE. Apply as needed to dry skin, or use for massage oil.
Add a few drops and luxuriate in a warm bath.
A few drops can be added to any carrier hand or body cream to provide a rich caring lotion.
A few drops can be added to water and used in an oil burner to beautifully fragrance your house

1 comment:

  1. I really fancy doing this,Linda...it's just finding the time amidst all the other 101 daily tasks!!! I can almost smell that delicious aroma,that's for sure!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.