Sunday, 6 December 2009

Adventures in Andalucia .The Tale of Three villages!! Adventure 2 !!!


"A Sunshining Day!"


Mojacar Pueblo 


Anyone who knows me knows I do not do mornings !--- But this morning with the countdown to our return to England almost defined by Dear Mother- In- Laws visit I woke, and knew that there was a clear blue sky just the other side of the curtain. I always just say a few thanks for each new day and then stumble to the shower which always refreshes me. Without breakfast,because everyone is spoiling us I set off in the Sunshine Bus to another village not far from us which I love.My new found confidence in being happy to drive here on my own has opened up a lovely feeling of independence for both Andy and I.
The Spanish love Fiestas and partying, and if you are lucky enough to share in their celebrations you can gain a real insight into Spanish life. I had not realised it but this weekend is the celebration of the "Immaculate Conception" and the village of Majocar Pueblo was buzzing this morning. I really enjoyed just having a look with my camera from a distance!




We are trying to learn to speak Spanish.But in real terms are only managing "cafe" speak, and when faced with the explanation of statues you feel decidedly lacking but it definitely has something to do with shoes!!






Memories of holidays in Cornwall flood back, childhood images of winding streets and tiny houses tumbling one on top of another. St Ives still holds very a very special place in our hearts and the whitewashed houses here in the Pueblo are not unlike the cottages in Downalong, The Digey or Virgin Street.
So climbing upwards, the view is always worth the effort!







They call this the valley of the Kings and I always feel on top of the world ! 
The views go all the way to the Mediterranean sea.
What I love best is to leave the main drag and take my camera away from the people and just snap away. However. today there were some beautiful pointsettias for sale. The Spanish love these cheery plants.
 At Christmas time the roundabouts are filled with them and they are wrapped beautifully





My Mum loved them too and they held a special place in the fireplace in her cottage in the village at Christmastime!
Mojacar Pueblo is a small village high on the Hill in the Sierra Cabrera.
It was a centre for trade for Phoenicians, Greeks and Romans.







.
I just love doors.





and windows!





I think I just love people and like to imagine what their life is like behind the doors or windows. I do love the splashes of Morrocan Blue!
This area of Andalucia has a strong Moorish influence and this beautiful area has recently been refurbished.














I love the Moorish influence in the area where we live and so enjoyed our trip to Morocco in 2008. Andalucia  
was invaded by many folk but the remnants of its Moorish past left it somewhat isolated. In Franco's time. Mojacar Pueblo, even in the 1960's had little of the luxuries of the modern world. The youngsters had left to try and find a living in the cities, like Madrid. The Mayor of Majocar offered parcels of land free to artisans who would come and settle on the desolate hillside settlement.
The local people had no electricity and used the fuente or fountains sourced from the local mountains both for drinking water and washing .The Natural Spring water is said to have flowed here since Roman Times.





Even today local people come to fill their containers with pure water from the surrounding mountains.






It really is a very special place. Every year there is a special Fiesta celebrating the battle between the Moors and Christians. and the expulsion of the Moors from the region Here in Mojacar Pueblo is evidence of the signing of the treaty in 1488.





Climbing back up the hill I found the church of Santa Maria which is just like a fortress,and it was Sunday so I popped in. 
The second Sunday in Advent,






So in this tiny settlement on a hill near we live  there is so much to be enjoyed on a Sunday morning. 





Mojacar Pueblo!

2 comments:

  1. Linda, yet again some gorgeous photos! Love the blue double doors!

    I'm so glad you've found confidence in driving while you are there. It's been the same for me here in France; why I thought it would be difficult, I have no idea. The independence is amazing, isn't it?

    It was interesting seeing your reference to Franco's time; seems strange to think that that wasn't that long ago really!

    KathyXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tour! Thank you. I have to say I'm envious...all that beautiful architecture and history.

    PS (thanks for the comment on my blog. Now I've found you!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.