Saturday, 10 October 2009

Decision made! A Baby Blanket.



"A Whiter Shade Of Pale!"
After much thinking about the  little baby due in November I decided on a pure white blanket. It is going to be the first born to a lovely couple and somehow white still seems so right for brand new babies. 







Perhaps the teddy should have one blue ear and one pink ear as a surprise is on its way!




Just right for cuddling and swaddling on cold November days.



It measures approx 50" square.




Here is a close up of the pattern. A lovely combination of trebles to make a basket weave appearance.
Now all we have to do is wait patiently whilst the final touches are perfected - on the baby I mean !
It is hard for anyone not to be moved by the sight of perfect eyelashes, fingernails, toes and lips of a brand new baby.


Thank you so much for your lovely comments about this blanket
I have got a copy of the pattern but am  sorry I can't do a link because the page has expired - 
We are off to Spain in the morning for the first part of our winter break but as soon as we arrive and get the computer out I will post the pattern here for you to share


NB -- Here is the pattern but I used treble crochet instead of double crochet and for my trim for ease I simply worked 3 rows of treble crochet in each space and finished the complete blanket with 3 rows of single crochet to form a neat border


I use a 4.00 hook and double knitting wool. I am not sure how much because I always keep white in my stash but I am sure 300gs would be plenty.(the instructions quote 21 ozs)


Row 1- Ch 126, sc in 2nd chain from hook and across.
Row 2- Ch 1 and turn, (sc, ch3,3 dc) in 1st  sc,* Skip 3 sc (sc, ch3, 3 dc ) in next sc. Repeat* across to last 4 sc. skip next 3 sc, sc in last sc. 31 Shells complete across.
Row 3 - Ch 3 and turn. 3 dc in first sc ( sc, ch3, 3 dc ) in each chain space across ending with a sc in last space.
REPEAT ROW 3 APPROX 55 TIMES.


Trim
Working in rounds


Round1.- Ch1 turn, 3sc in 1st sc [* sc in each sc repeat * across, 3 sc in last sc* ( 3 sc  in each chain space, sc in sc) repeat * across. working in free loops of beginning chain, 3 sc in 1st chain, sc in each chain across]3 sc in last . Rep* around, last round rep between []sl st to 1st sc, { You could change colour here if desired}


Round 2 & 3 Chain1 , sc around with 3 sc in corners, sl st.


Round 4 - Chain 2, do not turn, * skip sc, sc, ch2, rep* around in sl st in 1st sc


Abbreviations --- ch - chain
                            sc - single crochet
                            dc- double crochet
                            rep- repeat
                            sl st - slip stitch






8 comments:

  1. I totally agree no babies due here sadly but i am knitting/crocheting for my a young Mama to be of twin boys !my daughters friend Kieren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really don't know how I came across your blog but I love the craftyiness. The baby blanket looks so cosy. Can I ask a question? When making the rug does it start in the corner and get bigger each row and later decrease again - sort of the shape of a diamond? If so can I please get the pattern I have been looking everywhere for this pattern. People think I am mad when I say it starts in one corner of the diamond and ends in the other.
    Love it if you could help.
    thanks
    Leone from Australia cabb1500@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous...where did you find the pattern as I would love to make one:-)
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison I will post the instructions for you very soon -- just have my hands full at the moment but thanks for your interest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda have a great time in Spain:-)
    Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pattern :-)
    Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By dividing up the party at several peoples houses you make it easy on yourself.
    At the end of the party all of the papers write down who they
    think was the prohibition agent. I hope you have fun planing a
    birthday party for your tween, I hope my birthday party ideas for tween's helped you.

    my web page - cameras

    ReplyDelete
  8. ' Satanic Ritual - Decorate the space with human sacrifice, goblets of blood, pentagrams, and things draped in black. You make different challenges like scavenger hunts, food challenges, mazes and races. That is the new craze in on the internet gaming, and numerous girls and teens are possessing a blast.

    my web blog - foreclosure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It really is lovely to see you here. I hope you find something useful or that makes you smile or maybe both!
If you would like to contact me directly please email me at
hammers5@tiscali.co.uk.